Ac clutch not engaging

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by thecubantrucker, Oct 6, 2019.

1. thecubantrucker

thecubantrucker Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    ok guys I have a 2002 freightliner. century AC clutch not engaging how can I check if my compressor went out or if it needs to be recharged anything or I've looked and they mentioned something about pressure switches ??? thank you in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    put a paper clip in the ac low pressure switch plug. if theres a little freon in the system. it should click on. if it leaked out then it wont. best to put a set of gauges on it.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If the electrical is working. The compressor will kick on. Without freon. Not a good idea to use a paper clip unless you merely touch the terminals only. You can use a piece of wire also. Shoving a paperclip in to the tiny terminals will stretch them out and cause a poor connection on the switch.

Yep. I've done that.

Put gauges on the system and see how much freon is in there. The low pressure switch needs 50 psi to kick the compressor on. Shuts off if it drops to 20.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Put a socket on the bolt in center of comp. clutch and turn it a few times around to besure its not locked up , then ck. snowwy pressure test, if it has pressure in system start by cleaning all all push on conn. that are on the a/c lines

6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Being an older truck and what I'll assume is an older compressor, the compressor clutch might need to be reshimmed because it has too much gap to engage. With the truck running and ac turned on, give the clutch a couple little smacks with a wrench and see if it kicks on. If not, put a set of guages on it and see if there's enough freon in the system. As said above you can also test the system by jumping the low pressure switch. Jumping the switch will tell you if the compressor is good, just low on freon.

Plenty of videos on youtube explaining how automotive ac systems work.

ryab97 Thanks this.
  7. BRD TRANSPORT

BRD TRANSPORT Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Had same problem Replace press switch Cost not much, and add freon probely needs freon.

8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    When you turn the A/C on with settings inside truck,
    Does the engine fan come on?

9. thecubantrucker

thecubantrucker Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    no engine fan not coming on unless I turn it on manually but still not cooling

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    1st in diagnosing ac.

Check pressure.

Most times. Freon is the problem. Not enough or too much and the compressor won't run.

11. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Also check the thermostat. Believe me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.