Accident Damaged Signal

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bkcampbell66, Dec 10, 2019.

1. bkcampbell66

bkcampbell66 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2019
    When turning right (in a 2020 Peterbilt) I was swinging wide left and signaled right. A passenger truck decided to try and pass me in the right lane, so when I started to turn he smashed into my front right, causing a lot of damage to the hood and bumper. He admitted to me he was trying to scoot by and go straight past me before I turned. The impact caused my signal to stop working, which is causing a problem trying to get ICBC to find me at no fault. The police report says there was no signal on since they did their report after the fact. Has this ever happened to anyone? I am appealing and looking for other cases and technical info. that I can present that will explain how the signals get disconnected in an impact.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    My understanding is that if your making a wide turn & someone passes you on the right, in their lane, you're at fault. You can not enter into another lane of travel and cause an accident. Its your responsibility to make sure of your surroundings before changing lanes.

magoo68, skytrash and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You are at fault. That's why every CDL manual and safety video tells us not to.
    4 wheelers will try using that space, so it's up to us to make sure there is no space there for them to use

DUNE-T, Grumppy and skytrash Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Plus dealing with ICBC they're going to do everything they can to split the blame.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    had you done a proper "button hook", you would have shut down that right lane, and this accident would have never happened.

you HAVE to expect the dumb jerk wad 4 wheelers to do stupid crap, any time you go to make a turn.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When making those kinds of turns, I NEVER allow ANY space between trailer tandems and curb, a motorcycle person would be very scared to pass me on the right, much less anyone else in any vehicle. No signalling either until the tractor commits to the turn right. Its not exactly legal book teaching that the state would have me do but against human nature to sneak by on the right at any price including death requires me to essentially be a bully of that corner using my size and weight to ensure none of that sneaking goes on.

And the sneaking continues the moment a vehicle sees enough daylight between you the trucker and the curb he wants.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.