Acert c13 stumbles when thermostat opens

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by CATastrophic, Feb 23, 2020.

1. CATastrophic

CATastrophic Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2019
    I got an 07 freightliner columbia with an acert c13 with a kcb serial number. Over the last year it has always stumbled after the thermostat opens in the morning, especially during winter. It's always went away in about 5 minutes until recently. Now, once the thermostat opens, it just stays with me throughout the day. It's fine between 1300 to 1500 rom cruising but is bad between 900 to 1200 rpm especially in 8th, 9th, and 10th gear. Threw a check engine light the other day for about 5 minutes but doesnt show anything on scan. No codes. No codes in over a year, which is strange for a truck like mine. Took it to a few shops and they ran a cutout test and checked fuel pressure and was good. Said they need a code otherwise it's just a guess. I've been told it could be iva's, could be ecm, could be a bad injector, or a bad injector seal. Doesnt use antifreeze or oil. I've replaced the water seperator, fuel filter, air cleaner, ran some killem through the tank, tightened battery cables, and had an overhead done all in the last month. Engine was replaced about 4 years ago by previous owner and new head was installed about a year and a half ago. Also recently had a new exhaust manifold installed. Old one was cracked. I'm stumped. Any advice would be appreciated and I know the acert c13 has problems. I cant buy another truck right now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ClineER

ClineER Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have seen a few things cause similiar,
    Wiring connections to IVA's or injector wiring, check over good, will usually throw a code, will be inactive.
    I have gotten anymore if I open one I change all the IVA pigtails, seems once disturbed they cause more problems, most what i work on is 15k plus on hrs.

I have also seen an injector cause the issue but very hard to narrow down, have had to run cut out test at different temps, while is wont say one is bad it will give a different reading than rest, slightly off but within specs and that usually ends up being injector with problem. If you havent ran overhead, try adjusting and retesting to see if injector fuel levels change on test.

4. Soap stone

Soap stone Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2020
    I would start with the IVA oil pressure switch. It’s under the valve cover front passenger side of the head. The Iva’s are activated through oil pressure. These switches are known to fail and cause symptoms like this. Especially when cold. The oil is thicker until it warms up.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.