Act of moral turpitude need help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tripp68, May 18, 2022.

1. Tripp68

Tripp68 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2022
    So I started a new job with a new company been driving for about a month they sent me to go pick up a load on the way over there and noticed I got a tire wabble while I was being loaded while I was being loaded I checked out the rear tandems on the trailer on the trailer and found I had a tire that was separated and so bad it was deformed was bald on parts of it and tread on other parts I call my dispatcher I tell him I got a heavy load from the front of my trader to the back all the way to the roof really top heavy and I got a tire separate and I need to get it swapped out He proceeds to tell me that I need to drive at 4:50 miles 1:50 miles to Bakersfield from Phoenix and have it done in the yard I tried to explain to him that this tire is gonna blow and it's not gonna make it to Bakersfield nowhere near it So he calls the owner Andy I sent them both pictures Andy tells me the same thing driving to Bakersfield doesn't leave me any other option the other option I'd drive my truck home park it where I normally do inform them that it was my opinion having 5 years experience in heavy truck and equipment tire repair and a 30 year automotive ase certified tech that it would be unsafe to drive my truck 450miles at highway speeds and conditions and my dispatcher tells me just head this way and if it blows well get road service out there and fix it so I said what happens if it blows and takes out the other 3 tires while I'm doing 65 and I wipe out the cars around me and wreck my truck he said it probably wouldn't I said easy for you to say it's not your ### so the owner looks at the pics and said it was normal ware and to drive to Bakersfield I said the pics not letting you see how bad it is I'm telling you it has to be replace he said it would be changed in bakersfield and left me no other option so after thinking about it for about a second I decided if they had no thought of my safety a complete disregard for the safety of all the other motorists around there truck s that I no longer felt safe driving there equipment I parked the truck where I always park it behind my apt and that I will not drive it until the tire is fixed and that I'm quiting but if repaired I would help them get the truck back to Bakersfield he. Said no that's OK you don't want to work for me that's fine get your stuff out of the truck I'll send a tow truck if it's not out when the tow gets there it's going with them give the tow company the key so I did as he asked now he's keeping my pay and saying I abandoned the truck I didn't abandon the truck in anyway what should i do i also text messaged everything so i would have proof 20220517_095326.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Sounds like they did you a favor. You weren't a 1000 miles from home. When you found out it was a bottom feeder company.

Talk to a lawyer about them withholding your pay. If you have text of them trying to force you to drive unsafe equipment. A letter from a lawyer should get them to pay.

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    That tire is definitely trashed but it's not like it was ready to pop. Sorry, bud you overreacted. Could have easily driven that tire 500 miles. Also, if you're so concerned about it's condition: why did you hook to it and pull it down the road?

5. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    No way. That tire is nowhere near road worthy. And with it wobbling DOT would of pulled it out of service.

6. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    He never should have hooked to it and pulled it down the road if it was that bad. All I see I is tread depth issues, no separation. I've seen way worse go way further.

7. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    I personally wouldn’t of hooked it up. Sounds like a new driver though. Company should of sent mobile tire truck.

Major lawsuit if it comes apart on the highway and causes an accident.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  8. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    I've seen it happen many times over the years.. I've never seen anyone get sued over it. I'm sure ot happens but blowouts are common. Especially during the warmer months.

9. Tripp68

Tripp68 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2022

10. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    You made two mistakes, you quit under a load while dispatched, and two you didn’t take the truck back to the company yard when you quit. These two issues are major red flags for prospective employers.

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Get used to it, folks. With soaring costs, these carriers have no choice but to throw caution to the wind. We sure have come full face. In the past, it was better to replace the tire to avoid a problem,,, but today, it's better to take a chance and deal with what happens later. We are going to see a lot more of this. Personally, I'm appalled at this.:biggrin_25513:,,however, I do believe you cut your own throat, and abandonment is a "Cardinal sin" in this here business. Sadly, I think you are done, and that's a shame, because I think you are right. Do yourself a favor, and do something else,,,trust me, you don't want to drive for these companies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.