Adding airbags to a single axle jeep

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by flat-step, Mar 16, 2018.

1. flat-step

flat-step Light Load Member

May 11, 2011
    Hello all,

Does anyone has experience adding a air ride to a single axle jeep. I am looking at a single axle jeep which fits my budget but doesn't have air bags. Was wondering if anyone has a similar experience and installed air bags onto the axle. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Sound like a big deal mount bracket air supply and ride height just for starters

4. b61mack

b61mack Light Load Member

May 18, 2010
    port murray nj
    Look in the junk yard and find a Lincoln TC, and take the air bags system and air compressor, this may work

5. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

A jeep is a small trailer so no need for an air compressor as he will have an air supply and those bags would be way too small.

OP we've looked at it but because of the way our jodog is built we would have to do some major mods to it. I know an outfit that sent one in and had it done but they were into it something like 27k when they were done as they had to fab the entire suspension, sorry that's not more help I'll talk to the guy who did it necxt time I see him and see if I can get some answers for you.

cke Thanks this.
  6. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    If you had an old scrapyard ready air ride flatbed for a doner it might be possible. Cut the main suspension hanger off the frame above the pivot bushing and transfer the axle and the whole 9 yards with it. The trick would be getting it beefed up and welded under the Jeep because nothing will line up. The jeep will be angled down pretty steep where as the flatbed is level. You would have everything you need though. Ride height valve, air bags, plumbing, ect.

SAR and cke Thank this.
  7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Mine has no suspension under it whatsoever, it is just an axle rigid mounted to the frame. I've looked into converting it but I don't think it's worth it

cke Thanks this.
  8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Is there really an advantage?

SAR and cke Thank this.
  9. flat-step

May 11, 2011
    Can you send me some pictures of your setup haulhand? Thank you

10. flat-step

May 11, 2011
    Thank you

11. flat-step

May 11, 2011
    I am under the impression that it will help me to jump it when the need arises.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.