Adventures of a Flatbedder at Roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by TheTank, Sep 11, 2011.

1. -LLL-

-LLL- Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Oracle,AZ
    Loaded at Mill Steel and head toward TN about 11:45. Made it to first drop in Mt. Juliet,TN about 21:30 and actually got unloaded . Two drops in the morning but no preplan. My FM is in Marshfield for training sosee how that works out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nd4spdz

nd4spdz Bobtail Member

May 31, 2012
    Merrill,Wisconsin
    For you guys that will know .. I will be starting my rdtc on monday june 4th but was wondering when I do finish what kind of trucks are the flat bed newbies getting yet ?? I will be driving flat bed when Im done , even with the issues I hear im still excited .

4. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    You will get either a 2007 Freightliner Columbia or a 2012/2013 International Prostar. Luck of the draw.

5. TheTank

TheTank Heavy Load Member

Got up on Thursday to deliver in Louisville at 0800. Started reading (whodathunk I could read) and oh $@#%^, delivery date is June 1st, not May 31st and it says don't deliver early. GREAT! Wait, didn't I get a message that I could take it in tomorrow. :biggrin_25511: YES! :yes2557: So I take it in. Get there a little after 8, like 8:30. Anyone delivered inside Louisville before? IT SUX! Was near the University and had to go around twice. Once for a low bridge and the second time because there was no road that I could safely turn onto to go the right direction. And no, their were no directions in the system for this place.
    So now that I am there the fun starts. ABC Supply. If you have been to those, always small, with a ton of traffic. Sat for two and a half hours to get unloaded. I was the second in line! The guy ahead of me would try to get in and then customer trucks would cut in front of him or park in the unloading spot. We both finally just stood there blocking people so that they wouldn't park where we needed to go and then I blocked so he could back in from the street. He had been there over 3 hours trying to unload.

Finally get unloaded and have to call FM to say hey what's up next? No preplan?:biggrin_25510: Think he forgot to update me in the system. So I had to find a place to park, on the street was my only option and that wasn't a good idea. :biggrin_25525: Drive down to this shopping center and pull in to wait. Get a load 45 minutes later pulling out of Hebron, KY, it's south of Cincy. No directions, of course, and can't find the place with my phone and Google Maps (Shameless plug). So I call the shipper to get direction. Easy cheesy, except that the address Roehl gave me was wrong. :biggrin_25523: Get there and then more confusion. Only received one pickup number. They are shipping two? Send in msg to get that clarified. Loaded and on my way! Heading to everyone's favorite left hand turn, WESTERN INTERMODEL!

6. TheTank

Took off at 2:30 this morning to make it to Western Intermodel by 0700. Can I say that Kedzie sux right now with the construction and that the right hand turn onto 43rd Street sux even more. Had to wait about 5 minutes to make that turn because of traffic. Let's not forget the dreaded LEFT HAND TURN inside of Western. I had to back up before I hit the wall, thankfully the splits don't turn so easy because all I did was back the tractor straight and then pull forward and I was fine.
    In and out in less than an hour, must be a record from some of the comments I have read from others.
    It was then on to Gary for fuel, pick up a Stepdeck, and then onto Portage and Ferralloy Midwest.
    FOUR AND A HALF HOURS later, I finally was leaving Ferralloy. It was a combination of rain (flats had to tarp inside), wind (tarps flying around everywhere), and Driver error. A few drivers just took forever to tarp! Once I was inside the building I was out in 45 minutes (of course after waiting 30 minutes for shift change) :biggrin_25516:
    On my way to Hesston, Kansas. Finally to get my clock off this 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning starts!

seadog443 Thanks this.
  7. nd4spdz

nd4spdz Bobtail Member

May 31, 2012
    Merrill,Wisconsin
    Cool thanks :) do those two trucks have any issues with the ground for the cb antennas?

8. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Freightliner wasn't bad. I had to install my own antenna on the international to get my cb swr set right.

nd4spdz Thanks this.
  9. TheTank

Sorry for those following, but this week has not been my most enjoyable. Trying to keep a positive outlook, but Roehl isn't making it easy. My only comment for my loads this week:

Anyone been to Phoenix Pipe in Aurora, IL? Man that's a great place to unload, or probably load for that matter. First, you are heading south on Broadway. The sign that identifies the company faces south. I past it. :yes2557: Had to back into a location to turn around, thanks to the local officer who just happened to be there. Coming back I see the location and pull into the lot next to it to turn around again, but I do get out and walk over first. The place looked small and a little confusing. I contact the receiver and he tells me what I have to do, BACK IN OFF THE STREET. :biggrin_2552: Oh, and there is a blind curve about 1/4 mile before it, so cars are going to come around and see you backing a little late.
    So I pull out of the neighbors lot with my four ways on, parking in the road, and wait for traffic to clear. Once it does, I have one shot. Pull into the oncoming lanes, back it in, adjust once and BAM out of the road. :biggrin_25520: Now the next FUN part. I have to S back around a garage, then around the building, and then into the dock. Oh, and if you over shoot one way there is a creek. :biggrin_25521:
    Before I start, I have to get one of their employees to move his truck. 10 minutes later I am backing. Had to pull up once to get around the garage, getting around the building was a breeze, and then a couple of times into the dock. Probably could have done the dock in one, but I wanted it perfect. :biggrin_25525: This makes Western Intermodel look rather easy!

10. nd4spdz

nd4spdz Bobtail Member

May 31, 2012
    Merrill,Wisconsin
    sounds like fun :) lol .. I just got my cdl today at rdtc and got a week left at roehl in mashfield then to gary for a few days for load securement training .then wait for my trainer ... sigh.... but ill be driving flatbed .. love the updates :) there a good read ...

11. TheTank

GARY.... Can I say I just love the local drivers? Dropped at Western Intermodel this morning, 1st in and out. Got back to Gary to pick up my realy. Perfect should be in and out.... :biggrin_25513:

Hooked the trailer and then started walking the cargo... It has a huge rip in the tarp that is half @$$ED with duct tape to try and fix it. Literally a 18-24 in slash right at the top. So I had to spend 45 minutes taking it off and putting one back on. Rolled up the tarp, incorrectly, just so the big rip could be seen. Walked it in to Eric and showed him. "That's not one of my new ones is it?" Nope, what a local left on my STEEL load.

So to all the new Roehl flatbedders, this is what you get to look forward to from relay's out of Gary! Crappy tarps, and even crappier securement. :biggrin_25516:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.