Advice and Tips for shopping for a used truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kogaFX, Feb 17, 2017.

1. kogaFX

kogaFX Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Frozen Lease Road, ND
    Hello, I am in the process of shopping for a used truck. I just had some questions and also if anyone could offer some advice or tips.

I'm mainly looking for something around 1998-2002 with a series 60 Detroit Diesel.

Should I bring the truck to a mechanic to see if it passes a DOT inspection? What should I look for?

Do I need to get my own personal bobtail insurance in order to test drive the truck?

How would you pay? I feel uncomfortable toting around that kind of cash, will places usually accept a check?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Get an oil sample. I had to do a a little motor work on mine before I sold it to a guy but at least we both know he is getting a good deal.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Do a very thorough inspection. Oil sample, dyno, the works. Look for a reason not to buy it. Once you are satisfied that is a good truck, negotiate the price and go to your bank for a certified check. Do not pay in cash.

5. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    What's the reason for using certified check?

6. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Yeah, what's up with that.

7. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It satisfies the requirements of both the buyer and the seller. For the seller, its guaranteed funds. Doesn't have to worry about the check bouncing. For the buyer, it alleviates concerns of carrying tens of thousands in cash. Plus it establishes proof of money changing hands in case the title turns out to have issues.

8. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Pull the valve cover.. look ato the cams and rockers.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A few things.

Read what I will post below after you read what I posted to your questions.

Nothing wrong with that, I would do a search here PLUS post in the truck section for tips on these years and this engine.

Read what's posted below.

Remember ONE IMPORTANT FACT - no matter what anyone says to you the DOT inspection is not the standard to use when buying a truck, it is a fool who uses the idea that it is a good way to make sure it is alright to buy.

NO you are not the owner of the truck, that is the problem of the owner. If you can't get the truck to test drive it and do the Due Diligence on it, walk away >>>> Read why below.

NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY IN CASH !

If a seller wants cash, walk away, better put run away. Trucking is a business, you don't buy a subway with cash, so you don't buy a truck with cash.

If you are financing it, then ask the financial people what they recommend.

If you are doing this out of pocket, then I would say check. If you have an LLC or corp, use a company check.

The problem with certified check unless it is done with the seller at the bank, is that they can easily be forged and a lot of people refuse to take them, I'm one of them.

SO here goes.

Before you do anything read this carefully.

From this thread

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ne-delt-with-otr-leasing.245383/#post-5495187

OTRReeferRunner wrote this and he is right in target.

FYI! A lot of problems could have been avoided if you guys would have spend the extra $1000 or so to get the truck fully checked out! That is why you should have a 3rd party repable diesel mechanic or dealership check the truck out from the front bumper to the rear mud flaps! The following things a the least should have been done before you took procession of the truck:

1. Oil samples (detects any internal problems with engine, transmission, and rearends)
    2. ECU download (detects fault codes, idle hours, actual miles on the truck, and etc.,)
    3. Blowby Test (piston & rings, compression test and etc.,)
    4. Dyno test ( a full report on the complete health of the engine)
    5. Obtain maintenance reports.

If you don't do the following things you are sure have serious problems with truck! Buying CMV is not like buying a regular passenger vehicle, just walk around it, kick the tires, drive it round the block and sign the paperwork! You are setting youself up for guarantee failure with this approach!

So you can get this.

The truck is spec'ed for the work you do, it does not matter what brand it is because they are all the same. But it does matter on what you are going to use it for.

The truck is cheap part. The repairs and maintaining it isn't.

There are a lot more trucks chasing owners than owners (potential or real) chasing trucks.

You have the check out costs on the front end to fix the problems and then negotiate the price if the truck is acceptable. I wrote up some really good info on how I buy a truck and what I did for a few on the last few used ones.

If you are not willing to put in the $400 to $1000 to check out a truck, then you are asking for problems down the road.

I have bought trucks for $5k and I ran them for 5 years. On the other hand I have junked a couple trucks that were in better shape than those selling for $20 or $30k I've seen advertised.

So a truck is a tool, don't get wrapped up in it, it is just a tool.

Rackpass 85, Lepton1, Cetane+ and 4 others Thank this.
  10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    The biggest thing you can have when buying a truck is patience.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    So you would accept a regular check or company check with no way to even know the funds are in the account to cover it but not a bank printed, watermarked, certified check? Really?

kenn2632 and Loose Leaf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.