Advice and Tips for shopping for a used truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kogaFX, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Loose Leaf

Loose Leaf Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    My friend has never had any problems with hot spots, finger prints ect.

It's like surgery very clean and a new shop towel handed every time needed.

I don't even have to ask him, I know what he will say about taking someone else's car apart. You think a shop should put their reputation and business on the line to inspect whose vehicle.
    Oh, not yours.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Well it's done every day. I've personally bought over a dozen trucks in my life and the only ones i didn't pull the valve covers(or was pulled by the seller) so i could indirect the top end was either brand new, or the price was so cheap i bought it knowing i could put an new engine in it and still come out ahead.

4. Sham3R

Sham3R Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2016
    AZ
  5. Loose Leaf

Feb 2, 2017
  6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Sham3R Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree Spyder, it is a buyers market but most don't even know when a cam is worn or other things that indicate problems.

I also know you wouldn't buy my trucks, I trade them in more often than not.

But one reason why I stress getting someone who knows what they are doing to do an inspection is because most buyer are clueless to what's bad and what's not, especially when it comes to specific engines and drive trains.

I got to repeat this, I have met a few drivers who can't even check the oil right, and they want to buy a truck thinking it is as easy as buying a car.

Do you really think that they are capable of figuring out if a cam is worn?

8. Loose Leaf

Feb 2, 2017
    Some grow up around the shops and have good knowledge and even help turn a wrench from time to time.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Do your own due diligence the onus is on you to find out what is wrong with it, unless it has some kind of written warranty it its a private sale the owner should have insurance on the vehicle same as the dealer your not responsible unless you've signed something saying you'll accept liability if anything happens during a test drive. Although if your at fault they could ask you to pay the access.

10. Sham3R

Sham3R Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2016
    AZ
    I was honestly thinking of purchasing it while I'm still under my lease or something else that I can drop a little money in to get into a good working order. I've still got time but it was an idea.

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

I agree most drivers are basically idiots and don't know what they are looking at. Those guys either need to take the truck to an unspent quality shop for an inspection, or bring a good mechanic with him to look at the truck.

But pulling the rocker cover needs to be part of that inspection. Also that won't tell ya if the cam is worn, only way to find that or ut is to pull a micrometer on those lobes, which you can't do unless you pull the cam, we ain't doing that. But that's not what we are looking for when we pull the rocker covers. we are looking for chipping, pitting, and scratches on the lobes and the rocker rollers. And also imo, just as importantly, sludge build up. To me its just part of a thorough inspection, no different than jacking the front end up and checking kingpins. Dumping the ecm records. Pulling oil samples of engine, tranny and rears. Etc etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.