Advice for a potential tank hauler.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Rooster1291979, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I am considering moving over to the tank side but, I have no idea what exactly I want to do. I literally don't know enough about tank to know what I want.

I do not have hazmat or tank endorsements. I can get them, it's not a problem.

I have been trucking OTR for almost 6 years. I have worked for 3 companies. I have been pulling flatbed for most of my career. Lots of oversize, nuclear and wind blades. I am used to and enjoy a challenge. Looking to get home more often and start a new chapter. Mostly because I'm bored.

My CSA is 0. PSP has clean inspections with no violations. My MVR may have 1 overweight ticket, haven't pulled it. No criminal charges. I have a passport and a twic card.

I live very near New Orleans and would like to find a gig that will get me through the house.

I tend to take extended hometime. A month on the road and 7-10 days at home. I don't think a company position will work. I have leased trucks for all but 6 months of my career and have been financially successful. I am willing to lease but, can buy a ride if needed.

Tell me what you think. Will I have to ride with a trainer if I do this? What about salary? Putting my daughter through private college without student loans so I need to make a good salary or I can't make the move.
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I had been driving around 20 years when I switched to tankers. I rode with a trainer for about 3 weeks because it's not about the driving part, it's about safety of dealing with hazmat chemicals of various types and different customer situations. I was a company driver.
    New Orleans is an excellent area for many tanker jobs.
    Trimac Transportation pays really well, but doesn't have the best trucks. Their "Elite Fleet" drivers can make $100K or more each year. @ethos worked there and can give better information.
    Probably a good place to work until your daughter finishes school.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    I side with what Chinatown said about being a company man to get your feet wet. Remember you will be starting all over again in a new part of the industry, it takes time to learn the product and the customers. Some carriers may even have you learning completely different products such as oil and chemicals, some are pump offs, some gravity drop, some are driver unload/load others the customer does everything. It's a lot to learn but you are in a very good location.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lots to learn and money is good. Where I was, might haul a load of acid, then the next load is dry bulk flour for Bisquick, then the next load is glue for microwave popcorn bags, etc. Interesting work and enjoyable in my opinion.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Never hurts to learn all types of trucking. Pulling a tanker has it's own set of rules. Slow and steady wins the race. It's not like a box or a flat, you can't forget what's behind you, even for a second. The best way, and probably the only way these companies will take you, is if you go with "old Charlie", who is fixin' to retire, ( after 47 years) you know,,,and pick up his good habits. You'll be way ahead of the game, rather than finding that stuff out on your own. I've done it all, and in my opinion, tanker is the best trucking there is. Low key, laid back, no hurry( usually) and companies are waiting for YOU, not t'other way 'round. Good luck, patience is the key, and once you get that tanker job, I'll bet you'll do that for the rest of your trucking days.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If you drive down la30 from Gonzales to St Gabriel you will see several tanker company terminals. Most will have a hiring sign out front. As far as training, they will know you can drive. They will put you with a trainer to get you used to the surge but mostly to learn the load/unload procedures. Both tanker companies that I been at used day trips for this training so I could spend more time unloading with less driving.

9. nite vision

nite vision Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    I like pulling tanks , places we go it's no touch lol , they load and unload you . Some places you might have to hook up a hose or 2 . I try to stay away from acid loads , just don't like wearing the rubber suite . I work for mckenzie tank , they have a terminal in st.gabriel la they might let you run 3 and off 1 pay is good .

Just passing by Thanks this.
  10. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Saint Gabriel will be the place to go. Plenty of choices there. Go in, sit down and state your case!

11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Switched from refers to hazmat tanker 15 years ago and have never looked back.
    Lots to learn not so much about driving but all of the different trailers, valves,hoses unloading procedures etc.
    It's not a boring or mundane job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.