Advice for Cdl jobs for beginner driver.....

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by ellisjay2, Nov 30, 2019.

1. ellisjay2

ellisjay2 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2010
    marietta, GA
    Ive had my cdls for 12 yrs now, but only used them working with county job intrastate only in the water department pulling 53ft rig transporting equipment and dump trucks. I have a clean record havent had ticket or accident in over 7yrs. I recently went and got my hazmat endorsement and tankers also. Here in atlanta GA driving companies are wide open. I talk with alot of fuel haulers that run from florida to ga I forget company name I think florida pipeline or florida fuel line something like so...I think they do QT stations....I also talk with local hazmat drivers that delivery to us, the comparison i make is they have pretty much same benefits as working with the county, but the pay is more of course. What I make biweekly the average driver makes a week. I find that pretty useful while im young (37) single no kids still. I just dont have a clue where to start since its so many companies and advertising that leaves out inside facts that are hidden unless you trial and error. Finding companies with automatics would take some worry off, I only drove a 10 speed a few times (low boy mack) under county just in local town areas, Ive always wanted to learn full manual driving to be versatille. Even if finding something partime just for weekends would be okay for now until a good opportunity comes...Just needing some real trucking experience as its more to it than alot think from looking in. If I could come across the right owner operator I'd pay them myself for just some weekend trainning maybe...or drive if they needed help driving.......just shooting it out there to see how it works and feed back.......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I guess if your thing is fuel, you can expect the best in equipment. You wont be driving beat up old wore out abused trucks.

You probably know that if you are attentive to the people around you and the overall situation, you will never have a problem. Part of this is related to thinking about what people are up to. For example....

Here comes someone on the left real fast and there is a exit to your right. You are in the middle lane. Three things are possible. Mr Speedy will zip on. OR cut across your front diving for the exit or bounce into your lane and slam on the brakes forcing you into a no win situation.

IF you are planning and acting on the Mr Speedy problem before he reaches your trailer you are well ahead of him. Particularly if he has a nasty face, armwaving, yelling etc. Road rage. You already see a problem long before you have to act.

Some drivers just space out and stare into the distance unable to do anything when trouble making Mr speedy does something stupid around them or you.

Now if you were near DC and had 10,000 speedies intent on getting to their government seats of power such as extends to the edge of their cubicles.... you might wanna stop and grab breakfast for a hour until all that sorts out. Prevents a accident.

My trouble is what I don't see coming. My first car was literally a granny who was not where I expected her to be when I checked the mirror. She was aggressive and sitting next to my right steer axle when I made the lane change. All the way up here from all the way back there. I never saw her. Then again if I looked twice I would have.

Such as trucking. Anything is possible. The main thing is to make money. Minus your expenses out here and build savings. You will not be doing this forever. You only have one spine.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.