Advice for first truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bighog85, Oct 23, 2020.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Never? Why because you heard about someone who can't change a headlight bulb have "issues" because they trusted some hack to demandate their truck?

As for the OP and his question. I ran the snot out of some ProStars in the past (all Maxxforce) and if Im being brutally honest, none of them left me stranded on the side of the road but I would never own one of those engines, although the truck/chassis itself were fine. And these were trucks that recieved almost no maintenence because of cheap crappy owners that ran out in the W Tx oilfields.

I really thought by this time of the year, truck prices would have dropped significantly. But they haven't and even seem to be on the rise. I just overpaid for a 379, but it was pretty much the exact truck I wanted and Im getting zero percent financing so it all evens out.

What I would suggest is find 5 trucks you like, look at each one yourself and see if you can spot any glaring problems and just narrow them down to a couple that you can see yourself owning, then make arrangements to take each one to a shop or mechanic you trust to give you an unbiased inspection.

bighog85 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowfarmer350

snowfarmer350 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2020
    No, not “someone” but here it over and over and over and over again from many truck owners.
    The point of my comment was to let the OP know to not let just anyone remove the mandate on his truck. Be very careful who you choose is all.
    Personally I’d just run the ISX with the mandate. But that’s not for everyone. To each their own.

Cummins_444 Thanks this.
  4. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I apologize if my post was mean spirited. My advice is find a used Glider kit or pre 2000 that has been loved. It will be worth it!

Dino soar and stillwurkin Thank this.
  5. bighog85

bighog85 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Im the last person to say what truck someone should buy, but thats a whole heck of a lot of truck for a 1st truck. As cool as it is, not what Id pull containers around Houston with.

spindrift Thanks this.
  7. RubyEagle

Apr 17, 2010
    That is beautiful. I love the outside and inside color scheme. If you don't have any worries about fuel mileage l say YOLO and if it what you want first of all get a Rig Dig done asap. It will show any inspections/OOS, owners etc.

8. RubyEagle

Apr 17, 2010
    Yeah not the best turn radius. A KW T600/T660 is the same truck from the windshield back and will cost much less. You will get better MPG and the setback axle will make it more nimble.

9. bighog85

bighog85 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    Well I am doing the exact same job with an old beat to hell Freightliner Classic XL so it shouldn’t be much different. If I was for sure only ever going to be on this account then I’d just get a little daycab.
    When you say it’s a lot of truck, are you referring to actually driving and handling it or to the maintenance? I don’t want something that is going to nickel and dime me to death. I am under the impression that the older trucks tend to be more reliable as long as they were maintained, which this one appears to have been.
    Also, I’m out of Mobile, AL so nowhere near the traffic and nightmare of Houston. We actually just moved here from that area of Texas and I would never consider a truck like this if I was frequenting that area.

10. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    A little off topic, but everyone here always says you must DYNO a truck. You all must have a bunch close to you. I only know of one with in about 2 hours of me. So I am curious as to where you all are finding DYNO's everywhere to take these used trucks too?

Thats a sharp truck, It is still going to break, just redone or not. Also, so will a new one. So getting right at the top end of your budget may not be the best idea. There are a lot of hood haters on here that will tell you that big truck won't make anymore money than an ugly aero truck, and they may be right. But I will tell you this. I love my old W9L. It makes my day better getting compliments over the CB on my truck and actually makes me want to take care of it better and drive it every day. If you really like what you buy it WILL make your job less like a job and enjoyable. (everyone wants to be happy at work right?) Even if that truck breaks all the time you will still like it, but if an ugly truck that you don't really like breaks all the time you will be hating life all together. Last thing is my truck has gained me business being nice, I have made more friends because of my nice truck thus they call when they need help with loads. I would probably never had me them if I didn't have a truck that didn't stand out. (I pull a hopper and end dump locally)

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Most there OEM engine shops- Cat, Detroit Diesel, Cummins have dynos. Even if you had to go 2 hrs to get to one, finding out that the truck your looking at is facing major problems is worth the effort. And If the seller balks at you taking his truck for a dyno and mechanics inspection, I would look elsewhere.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.