Advice for Hauling Steel Coil

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jldilley, Jan 29, 2014.

1. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    No been hauling steel my entire life. Just have extra from my trucks that I got rid of.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I have always secured my coils with the legal amount of securement. 3/8 g-70 chain 1/2 binder with a wll 9200 lbs. rarely do I use more than required. hauling over 15 years. never lost any load including lumber, pipe, e.t.c. never had a load shift either. my main focus is my speed especially before & on any curve, no matter how slight. watch as far & as close to what is going on around me. my eyes are like a pinball in a pinball machine when driving. very aware of everything moving in front beside me & behind me, though not as focused as what is going on behind me as much. I don't daydream, always ready to slow, stop maneuver, I get passed on every curve, almost always. most drivers get impatient, but I don't care. I do not drive 55 in the left or middle lane, but on curves, come on around cause I am crawling. just til the curve staightens out, but I'm in a low, slow gear until I am out of the curve.

O_M_Jeep Thanks this.
  4. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    Aren't 3/8 grade 70 6600lbs. ?

5. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    You're correct, but I believe that the 1/2" binders have a 9200 # WLL.

6. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    Make sure you know what your changing to weight limit is, i.e. my trailer has chains in the floor they are only good for 6600# so if I had 1/2 chain it would only be good for 6600# not the 9200# chain rating of a 1/2". Always know your weakest point. Plus 3/8 are heavy enough to throw around.

jldilley Thanks this.
  7. HauntedSchizo19

HauntedSchizo19 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Southern Tier, New York
    Well, this is something that I have to study, seeming how I'm getting my CDL Class-A License in NY. It's basically a flatbed endorsement; I plan to run flatbed, so I'm just gunna get it. Hopefully, it helps a bit!

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv79.pdf

8. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm all set up to pick up my first coil tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

rockyroad74 Thanks this.
  9. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

Looking forward to hearing the post-trip debrief.

10. realsupatrucka

realsupatrucka Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2013
    houston tx
    Use plenty of chains...use Rachel binder if u can..If u can't make sure that the snap binders are locked in tight...chain from both sides and not just one

11. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    Well, my first trip was a nightmare! I-74 was closed up, so I took 136 which was an experience in ice road trucking. GPS, took me the wrong way to the shipper. When I finally arrived, I was informed I would need a hard hat so I was turned around and sent to the Pilot to use the ATM. I get to the ATM only to find that neither one of my bank cards (personal or business) would work, so I had to use my Landstar card. I head back to Nucor, purchase my hard hat, and proceed to get lost on the property. When I finally find where I am to load, all the doors or down. The guard told me to simply back into any bay that is open so naturally I decide to wait until a bay is open. Half an hour later a truck pulls out in which the driver commences to operate the overhead door himself. I raise the door and back in to the bay in which he pulls out of only to realize that two other bays have been open this whole time!!! :biggrin_25510: I proceed to get loaded. Securement goes well, thanks to another driver who obviously saw just how green I was and decided to give me some pointers (Thank you, Ed!!!!). Then I start the tarping job. After finally getting the stupid thing on the coil, (I made the mistake of rolling it out BEFORE putting it on top of the coil) I wrap the thing and start putting bungees on just to have another driver inform me that it was on sideways. He then shows me the proper way to put the coil bag on and I secure it to the bed (at least I thought it was secure, but more on that later).

I pull out of the bay and head to the outbound scale only to find it closed so I get in line for the inbound scale. The line is incredibly long so 45 minutes later, I am out of the yard and down the highway. I scale, grab some lunch and hit I-74 on my way to 231 when I notice my tarp is flapping around like crazy and catching air! It looked like a balloon about to take off. I immediately realize that this tarp job is not going to survive the trip to Naperville. I head up 231 and stop at the pilot to fix my tarp. I buy a few extra bungee cords, tighten up my tarp and am on my way. another 45 minutes down the pooper.

I make it a few miles down I-65 north to find the highway at a STANDSTILL. Fortunately, I'm right at the exit for State Route 2, so I take that over to 231 and just go around whatever the heck was going on. Another 15 miles out of route. Well, after all this you can imagine I'm running late: an hour-and-a-half late to be exact which Chicago traffic commences to turn into two hours late. I reach my destination only to find it closed up and everyone gone. Not a soul is there. So I head to the I-55 truck stop in Bolingbrook and am greeted by an incredibly rude night staff. A nice little cherry on the crap sundae I've been dealing with all day.

I wake up the next day, go in for breakfast and am greeted by a very polite and professional day staff. I come back out to the truck and get a call from the consignee. They received my message and were incredibly gracious with me concerning my predicament. I warm the tractor up, and go to pull out of the lot only to get stuck behind a truck that has lost it's transmission!! It's a pay lot, so there is, of course, a single narrow point of egress. "Great", I think to myself. "This coil is never going to get off of my trailer!"

Well, after getting out of the truck stop, I made it to Promet and things went smoothly. Thank God, because I had had just about all I could handle at that point. It was certainly a tough load, but that first one always is. The good news is, a lot of this stuff is within my control, so things should only get smoother from here. Hope you guys enjoyed my story and thanks again for all the help you have provided.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.