Advice for teaching lane control

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by McCauley, Dec 16, 2017.

1. McCauley

McCauley Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    So I'm training my girlfriend to eventually drive as a team. She got her CDL and I have her trained up on shifting, safe turns, road ettiquette and such, but she is having a little bit of a tricky time with basic lane control when driving down the freeway. She hits the rumble strip more than I'd like and bobs left and right in the lane a little bit. She does do a good job of not encroaching the left lane though.

I've been telling her to keep her line of sight high and we've been adjusting where she positions the seat and holds the wheel. There's not a huge gap in the steering wheel or anything. Not really sure what else to try except just letting her improve with time, which she is. Anybody have any tricks or tips of things I can do or say to help her progress along more quickly?

x1Heavy, Lepton1 and tinytim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Put a hood ornament on the hood? I don't even think about it, the truck just stays put unless I'm screwing with the radio or adjusting the boys. ;-)

Or, could the truck need a bit of a tweak in the alignment? The crown of the road can be adjusted for if you find a good frame/alignment shop. Just a thought.

McCauley Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    She’s using the fog line on the right to line the truck up in the lane. That’s actually surprising...most rookies use the zipper. She needs to learn to look far ahead. Because when you look at the right fog line, or the zipper, you’re only focusing 2 truck lengths ahead at most.
    And that is dangerous.

Right, Mr @Lepton1?

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Show her the groves in the pavement, those the truck love to follow and you have to climb in and out, and if it is windy bridges and valleys will move you around a bit so teach her to be aware of that...and some trucks aerodynamics push or pull when they go by.

skellr and McCauley Thank this.
  6. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    Is it possibly an issue of reluctance or mild fear? Maybe a mindset of staying away from the zipper or centerline on a two-lane worrying about meeting another vehicle that is just transferring over to interstate travel?

McCauley Thanks this.
  7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    That's the answer. She needs to look where she's going, not where she is.

8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Funny, I never give it any thought... ;-)

And yes, I always look down the road.

McCauley and tinytim Thank this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I think something like this gets harder to do the more you think about it. I think she needs you to be quiet about it.

How many times have you been backing into a spot and doing well untill you started thinking about it? Ohh, I need to turn sharper or something and end up messing it up. Once you get further into the back you realise it would have been perfect if you just left it the way it was.

She just needs time to learn what pulls are "false" and what are not. I think our subconscious does a better job with that.

Justrucking2 and McCauley Thank this.
  10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, it's harder to stay straight while riding on the edge of a rut.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. McCauley

McCauley Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    I agree, she is aiming up the right line. Will reiterate to aim for the center further ahead.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.