ADVICE FOR THE BEGINNER

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by pavrom, Mar 29, 2018.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    hey guys i am stepping into step decking sometimes second part of april
    im not new in the trucking industry , been car hauling since 2011.
    i have several questions :
    i have 1999 kw w900l with stretched 18" frame (it was stretched to fit 2 car head rack for the car hauler)
    i won't be able to tell you exactly my frame length but after attaching step deck i have around 5' from the edge of the trailer to the sleeper (edge of the trailer signed up with 2nd axle) , fifth wheel can be moved only rearward (all the way to the front) . i brought my truck to mechanic today to have pm done and some minor repairs , he advised me to move 5th wheel with the plate foot closer toward sleeper for better weight distribution and more comfortable ride (otherwise he mentioned that my steer will be at 7-8k and i will always weight distribution issues).
    trailer will be used 2015 doonan , aluminum step deck , triaxle (3rd axle is liftable) , 17.5 wheels
    im looking at various videos and advices from friends on binders , chains , straps , tarps , ramps
    can anyone advise new vs used , made in usa vs china , ramps
    half of the guys referring to the place in granite city il for most of the equipment
    will be glad to hear some feedback and advices
    i currently driving stinger pete 388 and planning to remove headrack on that truck as well and have it ready soon .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    edge of the trailer lined up with 2nd axle ....sorry autocorrection

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That mechanic is an idiot. Even with no trailer you have more than 7 to 8k on your steers. Is your fifth wheel forward of the center of the rear axle? If so you can make it work. Sure its better to have our farther up but as long as it's even an inch in front of that rear axle you can learn to live with it.

Airborne and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    id say king pin somewhere in the middle between drive axles ...

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Then it will work. Heck that's almost perfect. Any father forward and you won't be able to turn without gorging the neck. Is the kingpin setting on the trailer 18 inch? With a step deck or rgn I'm sitting right over the rear axle.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I agree. Engine, transmission, air tanks, fuel tanks, the cab...that weight has to be on the steer. I'd say that the steers are at 10k empty. Get a measuring tape and measure from the steer hub to the middle of your drives and tell us the wheelbase.

Since the truck was a carhauler, does it still have the low slung suspension? If so, be careful if you have to go offroad. It would hurt my feelings to drag my fuel tanks. Post a pic if you dont mind...I would like to see that truck.

Broke Down 69 and stwik Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    What's the best way to insert pics ?
    I used to have Photobucket but I believe there is an issue with them

9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    You don’t have to load the steers if your new trailer is a spread. You can run 40k back there. It’s more than enough to cover the 1 or 2k lbs you wont be able to get on the steer. You’ll also not be able to run it much in front of the center of the drives with a step anyway because of Truck frame to trailer frame clearance anyway.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    My trailer is triaxle

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    On your screen, where you see the button that says "Post Reply", immediately to the left of that there is a button that says "Upload a File". Click that and upload directly from your memory files.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.