Advice for Truck Sales Position

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by PistolPete, May 13, 2010.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Bobtail Member

May 13, 2010
    I'm new to the trucking industry and to this forum, and I could use a little advice from those of you who have been around for awhile. I have the opportunity to take a position selling Peterbilt's and a few other brands of medium duty trucks for a large dealer based in the middle of the country. It sounds as though the position could be very lucrative, but I'm a little skeptical with the current state of the economy. Is there anyone out there buying new Class 8 trucks? They claim that it's slow, but people are still buying. They also claim that they really haven't seen much of a decline in the sales of their medium duty lines. Does this sound about right? Have any of you sold trucks in the past?

I have a master's degree and all my past experience is in the aviation industry. I really want to get into sales and this is the only real offer I've had for a sales job yet (or any job for that matter-even with all my education, a great GPA, and steady work history). The only trucking experience I have is driving a 3000 gallon jet fuel truck when I used to work as an aircraft refueler. (This company requires that you get a CDL which (1) sounds like a good idea if I'll be selling trucks and (2) sounds kinda interesting.) Does it sound like I will be able to "fit in" with the industry and be successful?

Any help or advice is really appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    SIGH...... Just great, another salesman who knows jack all about what he's selling or who he's selling to.:biggrin_25513: Oh well, at least you're asking questions.

Class 8 sales are "up" because fleets are replacing the old worn-out trucks that they can't put off any longer. Mostly these are 5 plus year old trucks with over 600K miles with issues that can't be patched up or delayed any longer so they're sticking the used truck markets with em. Trouble is that the used market is already flooded with "fleet maintained" trucks that they can't sell. Even the Mex/ central America market is getting choosy.

What they're replacing them with is "middle of the road" models with "driver proof" drivetrains and they're looking for deeeep discounts and "deals" (read kickbacks). No brand loyalty or such anymore. Be aware that Freightliner and International are the big players here and their quality is "questionable" at best. Paccar (Pete and KW) haven't slid so far down the "whatever it takes to sell" pole yet.

From what I'm told, there's still good commissions to be had in the specialized markets because most of their trucks are still "customs". By that I mean non-standard drivelines and specialized cabs and power equipment and such. But sales people in this area know their product and their customer base inside out. You better because the buyers here sure do and if you try to BS your way with them you'll blow the sale fast.

So learn your product thoroughly, learn your customers, be straight with people and pray like mad for a govt policy change.

4. PistolPete

May 13, 2010
    Kittyfoot,

I can't thank you enough for your response. I can't say that I blame you for having the response that you did. If I were you, I'd be skeptical about buying a $100,00 piece of equipment from some young guy with no experience too. I really don't know all that much about heavy trucks, but I am willing to learn. However, I don't know how much I will be able to really learn about trucking if I'm stuck in a cubicle doing the "smile and dial" day in and day out trying to get new clients in the door.

At least some of the points in your post matched what the sales manager had to say, so I think he's being pretty straight with me. I really don't think there is any room for any of the sales people there to move into fleet sales because it seems the managers pretty much have those relationships in place. If I decide to take the job I think I'll try to stick to selling the medium duty trucks until I get some good experience. I also promise to take your advice to learn the product and customers and treat people fairly. And trust me, I pray every day for those idiots in DC. ;-)

Thanks again for the advice.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Problem with selling trucks is very little floor traffic and very few "qualified" customers. So, the pickings are slim. You need to "network' to find customers. Commisions are good, but, getting a unit out the door isn't all that easy. All truck salesmen dream of Farmer Fred walking in one day and buying 10 trucks to replenish his fleet.

6. ragincajun

ragincajun Bobtail Member

May 20, 2010
    Hey Pistolpete, listen I've been selling for about 8 years, love it, it's up and it's down, no questions about that, as far as learning the truck, you will learn the trucks and and how they are spec'ed and what your customers from your region like in a truck with every truck deal you do. everyone you send over the curb you learn something,
    weather that engine with that trans can be turned up, or if the rear end ratio works well for the customer's application. It's all hands on experience. give yourself 2 full years to make a living. I mean it. If you can get them to put you on some type of salary for 2 years. do it. learn all you can. and kittyfoot is right, Don't bs the customers, because at first they will have forgotten more about trucks than you know... at least for awhile. tell them hey, Im new thanks for dealing with me and let me go find the answer for you. They will appreciate that alot more.. Trust me... again Sales are up, and Sales are down, That's just Sales... it will always be that way. over the long run you won't get just rich, you will make a living... and really get to know the drivers, they are out there making a living just like you are trying to do... if a deal doesn't work, shake hands and maybe stay in touch with them over the years, might see him again in 4 years or so. This business has been good to me so far, bumps along the way just like anything. and I had alot of people that went out of there way to help me and i hope i am passing it on... good luck....

southernpride Thanks this.
  7. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Thought of something else a salesman friend once told me. Every day he took a look around the shop floor and looked for common or repeat problems being fixed. If he saw something he talked to the mechanics and researched the prob to find out why it was happening. Quite often he found "options" or particular driveline probs, etc that weren't working out in that application. Wrote this all down in his "little black book".

One of the first questions he asked a new customer was " What are you planning on doing with the truck?". If it was one of the problem apps he wasn't shy about telling them "Look, we've been seeing alot of trouble with this particular option in that use. Here's what I suggest instead". Believe me, he was known as a top sales guy and got alot of repeat business and referrals. The customer isn't always right but you gotta learn how to guide him. Don't just nod your head when you know something's not right and will just create an unsatisfied customer.

cherokee96red, southernpride and Ducks Thank this.
  8. PistolPete

May 13, 2010
    Thanks for all of the advice. I'm finding that most people in the trucking industry are nice folks. I will be going back to the dealership to talk to the manager about a salary, benefits, etc. Unfortunately, I have a severe case of poison ivy and had to go to the emergency room today, so I'll have to postpone my meeting with him for a few days. :-(

I'll take any and all advice that anyone has about this position. I know I'll have a lot to learn, but I'm very willing to work hard at it.

Thanks again.

9. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I'm most definitely not a fan of Paccar. That said, for some odd reason, there are a lot of people willing to pay the extra price for the name brand. You have that in your corner already. I guess Pete could be considered like the production Cadillac of Class 8's. Not that I would own a GM either, but you get the picture. Someone who is buying a name brand will have already sold him or herself the product before you even meet them.

There are others who are looking for value, plain and simple. They are going to be your hard sells. You will have to figure out just how stripped down you can go and still have an attractive product. Know your options, how much they cost and how much they weigh. One thing to keep in mind is weight is important in this business. In many cases, whatever weight is not in the tractor/trailer will be freight and that's how we get paid. It may be an idea to get to know some of the major trailer manufacturers (Wabash, Great Dane, Utility...) and weights of their various trailers, too. Your knowledge will be the thing that sells you as a representative of Paccar. Cheat sheets are acceptable. My old fire chief used to say, "Cheaters prosper."

Good luck! 8)

10. southernpride

southernpride Gone But Never Forgotten

Apr 5, 2009
    orlando,fl
    now my friend there is nothing wrong with selling trucks and when you get good at it there is money to be made.

the best advice i can give you is right off the bat , don't lie drivers come in to buy a trruck to make a living with not just a shiney toy and a lie can cost them a lot of money later on.

most drivers no everyone has to learn and the fact that you don't know the right answer won't bother them as long as your honest about it and you try to find the right answer for them and a honest truck salesmen is a rare breed these days .

learn the trucks your going to sell it dosen't matter if it is pete , mack , or a freightliner most are about the same anyway as far as how there built only the glitter is different and the price.

the main thing is be honest a pro driver will respect that more then anything else and you will probably see hin again.

best of luck to you. southernpride :biggrin_25514:

Ducks and rookietrucker Thank this.
  11. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    Get to know the person first. Some drive from coast to coast while some don't and get home more often which causes a driver to take different sleepers. What trailor they haul because a flat bed and van use different trucks as well. Just a couple of examples but if a driver says he hauls a certain flatbed in 5 states the salesmen should have a basic idea of what tractors on the lot would work for him. I am sure the dealer will train you.

rookietrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.