Advice for woman looking to oil field tanker yank

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Cowboygirl45, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Cowboygirl45

Cowboygirl45 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2018
    I totally get it. Been dealing with it my whole life. An employer will take one look at me and immediately think "Yeah right!" I'm not just a woman, I'm a small woman and that doesn't always bode well for me since I've chosen to work in a man's world lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some employers have issues even for men, such as myself when I present to them as a Deaf trucker. Normally people don't have a problem. But there has been a handful of employers which I have managed to reeducate for the better. Many are set in their ways and will rather burn than to reject their own prejudices. One in particular managed to get under the burr in the saddle and at some point I plan on stopping by to tell him off as part of my bucket list. Arkansas has been more than willing to give me a shot here and there. (Sometimes actual shooting...)

I said it before, I say it again, have at it. Get in there and do your best. Enjoy the money you are about to make. And rmember those recently lost who came that way before you. I think we lost one two weeks ago on the Dalton Haul Road when the inner curve simply ceased to exist under the inner tandem of her tankers. No more road, no more trucking, no more life. That's that. I consider it natural causes due to the special consideration for the situation in the very earth itself up there.

If anything at all, pace yourself. Work hard, but not stupid. Sleep really good but do not die in that bunk. Never shut off in winter. DO enjoy the nice co workers around you now and then as much as they probably enjoyed you. A little Sunshine in the valley is way better than a cold dark rain on the Mesa. This is probably going to be the most fun you will ever have in life (With some very rare exceptions) and get away with it. He he.

Cowboygirl45 Thanks this.
  4. OilBoomDreamer

OilBoomDreamer Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Also, think about getting a oilfield position as a dispatcher or administrative liaison. There is always a shortage of qualified personnel for these oilfield positions in the Texas. Once you're in, get with the right people and start your trucking career.

5. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    Any suggestions for good trucking companies to work for in Texas or North Dakota. I noticed some smaller companies getting greedy and only offering minimal wages to turn a profit.

Example: A small company in Odessa, Texas is willing to provided housing and meals for $3000 salary for a Oilfield sanitation worker. Basically drive a truck a company truck and clean port-a-johns.

I thought to myself. Is that good. Based on your experience.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Cowboygirl45

Cowboygirl45 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2018
    I'm hearing $3,500 per week to haul water and honestly I've not done a lot of research but that's a HUGE improvement over the $15 per hr at 70 hours per week I've been making. And that's being contracted through a private excavation company to Knife River. I'd consider dispatch as I have done some previously but honestly, I'd rather be in a truck all by my lonesome with my dog (hopefully). I'm a great people person, it's just that I prefer to be alone. People exhaust me lol. I'm a fan of my own company.

speedyk, blade and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    I've been monitoring Craigslist, Indeed, and Workforce Solutions websites for several weeks now. Seems like pay is averaging around $15-18 hourly with 70 hours guaranteed. I was hoping for at least $20 an hour.

8. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    Also, I think for a lot of us. Trucking is a perfect
    Join the club. Being by yourself on the open road is an awesome experience.

9. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    If you come out to Texas, as long as you're here to work you'll be fine. There are plenty of females doing oilfield work. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

Schlumberger, Keane Frac, Universal Pressure Pumping, Halliburton, Basic Energy, Tankstar/Schwerman - start with those. I would stay away from 1845 just because of their bad reviews on indeed.com

Good luck!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. OilBoomDreamer

Oct 18, 2018
    Most of those are CDL/ operator positions. 50% driving and 50% equipment operator. I hear some don't even move their own trucks anymore.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    What are you looking for? No touch drop and hook? Swift is hiring for that. And all of the above staff their own equipment. They do contract out to a very small amount of owner/ operators, but not much, and not all of them do that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.