Advice me on what truck to buy

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by V D TRUCKING, Aug 11, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well I am not young by no means and have sure driven them in the past. I would not be against having an argosy or a flat floor binder or even the later KW aerodines that you could stand up in. In fact for a while I wanted one, but finding one with the specs I wanted was like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    They have their place, just companies have a hard time keeping someone in the seat of the cheap fleet trucks they buy, so they went the way of the dinasour.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Still there. $19500, 712k miles. I was contemplating taking a ride to Indiana to check it out myself. Love the drom & 3 boxes on it too. Good for open decking. Best part is, it already says Michael on the drivers door, like it was made for me.. :cool:

It would eat up too much of the cash I've be stacking up for a new to me used stepdeck though. Going frame stretch on the fld instead. Too bad, so sad. Great looking ride.. :(

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not know what you are looking at there, but I know where there is a super nice CO, specced nice and looks super sharp. LOw LOw miles on an inframe (N14) 18 spd and lockers, artic insulated, Which is nice in a co and even has a matching custom quilted insulated cover for the whole front. for less money than that one. Nice set of stacks, the puppy looks sharp for a co.
    I have been kicking around the idea of buying it for the components to put in an old A model, just hate to cut up such a good looking CO.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well all I remember about the older trucks (which I have a few somewhere) is that there is no air and a few I've driven had no power steering. The first one I drove was a GMC astro COE with a bunk sleeper and nothing more than a couple vents and two fans. Being in that for 10 hours, you know why they had lunch counters and booths at truck stops.

Zigzag777 and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I wonder how difficult it would be to add the AC pump and components, along with a power steering box and such?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Jesus, buy on new enough to have electric start and get air and power steering on it from the git go. lol
    I would not want one that didn't have air or power steering, if it is that old it would be a miserable ride, they were not insulated very good back then, ovens in the summer and freezers in the winter.

8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    He just needs you to cosign for him

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Hell my first service truck had broken A/C and the heater was crap. Its -35°C in winter and 35°C in summer. Never #####ed about it once. Suck it up and git 'r done!

10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is amazing looking back now at what we used to do to make a living, heck it was just the way it was back then, and I do not remember all the drama and whining either.

11. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    The best advice I recieved about a truck was on this very forum. I was whining about having to work on my truck all the time, (did I mention if you buy an old truck you better be a mechanic with some decent tools?) anyway this guy told me any truck I buy I'll be working on.

I hated that, but knew he was right. So i've resigned myself to old trucks that need to be worked on when the weekend rolls around instead of fishing with my buddies.

Anyway, if you want a good old truck I wish you the best of luck. Many of us do as well. I agree about the old cabovers being cheap good trucks many times. Also check out Kenworth T800 trucks. They are ugly, but very tough and usually quite reasonably priced.

Oh ya, don't buy newer than 02.

Better yet, don't buy at all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.