Advice on a truck we're looking at

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by hiwaysteward, Jul 27, 2017.

1. hiwaysteward

hiwaysteward Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    America... :)
    Hi everyone,
    My husband and I have been driving 3 1/2 years OTR company. We're looking to buy a truck, to lease to a company as O/O (already talked to the company) at % of load + FSC.

My question is about the truck we have come across that's close enough to go see.

====DETAILS====
    Truck: 1995 Kenworth W900L.
    Mileage: 1,200,000
    Engine: Cat 3406E 565 (to the ground)
    Trans: Eaton Fuller Roadranger 13 spd.
    Rebuild: less than 200,000 miles ago
    Tires: 50%
    Other: Taken to Pittsburg Power for tuning
    Truck has been sitting for nearly 2 years - they do start it on a regular basis but it hasn't been in service.
    One Owner
    Freight: Light frieght. Mostly light loads (airfreight) -- flatbed.
    Records: They say they have every record of every single thing they've done on this truck over the years.
    Fuel Mileage: they tell us the father (father/son team) rides at 62 and gets close to 9mpg. The son rides at 75 if possible and gets 8. SEE CORRECTION BELOW!!!!!
    Interior: Father is a former Marine. Inside is neat as a pin and well taken care of.
    Exterior: paint is dead. Truck is black. Paint is not in good shape.

=====CORRECTION ON MY ORIGINAL POST!!!!! ======= 2:30PM
    I MISQUOTED MY HUSBAND -- HERE IS THE CORRECTION....
    FUEL MILEAGE: DAD GETS 7 TO 7.8 | SON GETS 6.5MPG

Owners are a father/son team - and both are also diesel mechanics. They say that every week, when they came home, the truck was lubed. Dad has health issues and is retired now. Son is driving for someone else.

They're asking $59,000. They say they're willing to negotiate but won't go into the 40's.

Every truck I've looked at so far of this age -- even with a rebuild on a factory engine and better paint/polished chrome etc., is in the $35K - $45K on the top end.

When it comes to price on these older rigs, I get there are factors that balance things out over buying from a Used Truck Dealer who has no records, there's no contact with the owner and you don't know the history of the truck etc.

But is this truck worth it?

Seeking advice from experienced drivers ad O/O's here. This is the ONLY truck we've found so far that's within a few hours driving distance. Everything else is either out of our reach $$$ or 5 states away.

We're supposed to see this truck this weekend. Any advice/thoughts are invited.
    Andrea & James

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Only light loads and 8 mpg @75mph from a W900 is suspect. I can't believe the price, is this old iron (pre 2000) really selling for that much? I must be out of touch, a friend just picked up an 02 T800 for 21.5, I thought that was high.

4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    It's too much, they have an emotional attachment to it, I would pass on it.

MarkH129, Lepton1 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Too much, I just bought one similar for less than half that. Cash talks.

Hurst

Lepton1 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    59k??For a 95?Yeah,a little too high,lol.Hope you're paying cash,cause no banks going to touch that at that price.

7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    ^^^^^ All of the above.
    Where is it? Just kidding.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think that's high.

Im glad you corrected your mileage numbers. I see alot of sentimental attachment at that price.

I say never mind the chrome, that is not allowed to influence your buying decision. Actually pull the chrome off the nuts to see if it is rusted or not lol.

It's going to be the low 40's maybe the high 30's if the dyno data is recent and part of the rebuilt data. If they wont negotiate that low then walk. Im glad the Marine kept a neat interior but it's not 59K neat.

That price has to come down off that 59K into at least the mid 40's or lower. It is what it is. If you talked to a few banks who do that kind of lending, you will learn the average true pricing for that particular tractor in your area and I guessing it will be in the low 40's high 30's at most.

At the auction house a number of really nice tractors sell for the high 30's cash today over the years in my experience taking them through the barn and listening to the chant of the auctioneer with the buyers around me. And that was not too long ago. And they were couple of tractors nice enough that I would have bought them myself if there was that kind of money to do it in the bank for that price. It's one thing to look at em, quite another when they are purring and shifting etc driving nice. Sometimes they sell themselves that way.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    yes $59k too high, and sitting two yrs, probably why, However, does it include the trailer and maybe you forgot to mention this ?

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    A 20 year old truck and 1.2 million miles? 20k tops! But you should check with the carrier that he works for and see IF they will allow the truck in the fleet. Alot of mega fleets draw the line at nothing over 10 years. So getting a 20+ year old truck might be a kick out the door.

x1Heavy and DougA Thank this.
  11. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Here's an example.I sold my 95 IHC 9300 Eagle with 629k original miles on it.Truck was in excellent condition.Yes it was 2 years ago,and it wasn't a KW,but it would make the same money.Sold it for 18k.Here's the ad from the classifieds.New owner loves it.
    Truck and Trailer For Sale,O/O Retiring

lovesthedrive and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.