Advice on buying a property where truck parking is legal?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PermanentTourist, Dec 14, 2020.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    So... it's time for me to stop being homeless and buy a house. I'm looking at some properties on the outskirts of Reno Nevada, unincorporated places like Silver Springs. Just five acres and a shack, nothing fancy. And I definitely want to park my truck on my property when I'm not driving.

I've heard stories of truckers buying a house and then finding out they cannot keep their rig there because of some stupid regulation. That's like seriously my biggest nightmare.

Any advice how to avoid that? Where to look up the regulations? I don't really trust the real estate agent to be honest or even know for sure...

4wayflashers Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with city hall. The zoning regulations should be there. Make a personal visit and see the regulations in person and make copies.

4. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yeah, I was thinking about that, but the places I'm looking at are unincorporated. So, I guess County Office? Sorry about being so clueless, this is my first time getting into the whole real estate buying universe.

5. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Some states have an exemption if you have enough acreage.
    For example, in Tennessee, you can get zoned agricultural if you have 10 acres minimum.
    Trucks are considered farm equipment, and you're fine.
    That said, it's always good to check with your neighbors beforehand, just as a courtesy.
    Most folks in the rural areas don't much care, so long as you're a good neighbor.
    The side benefit of asking first is you'll learn who the ashoe neighbor is...
    And there's always that one....

6. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    You want to check with the county - I beleive that is Washoe County.

OldeSkool, mjd4277, Chinatown and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If it's unincorporated, then the county probably has a court house or some type of county office that has the information.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    mjd4277 and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  8. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    As @TNSquire said, get a feel of the neighborhood, if you have neighbors close by. I live in a residential, mostly retired neighborhood and am fortunate no one bothers me bringing truck home. I do make an extra effort helping abutting neighbors. Couple weeks ago a retired older couple with sister and brother in law across the street were nearly maxed out replacing mailbox post and mailbox. I ran over and dug hole etc. Few days ago was helping another neighbor with winter storm windows. I hope offering help with those little neighborhood projects continues the truck being parked in my driveway.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  9. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    If you go into escrow on a property make sure to pay close attention to the preliminary title report for any restrictions. May be legal in the county but the developer may have put in restrictions when subdividing. These would appear in a title search.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    If in a subdivision look at the CC&R's as well as county regulations.

nredfor88 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  11. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I stopped the purchase on a property in Georgia for that reason. I checked the county website and saw a parking ordnance that restricted trucks from parking on property. I also called the county to confirm that rule. Yep, it was a real thing. I immediately called the realtor and cancelled that one. Too bad, beautiful location, acreage, and a 40x100 multi-bay shop.

Check the websites and call the county office. Due diligence is vital. Glad you asked before you got suckered.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.