Advice on driving deal with Friend in Oilfields on % Split

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by aquajosh, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    2 problems that will finish you;>
    1. Wrong truck - Cascadia for Oilfield? really?
    2. Financial dead weight of a friend to carry.

Don't do it, stay in an area of trucking you do know and you may have a 50/50 chance. Oh, please drop the friend, you are a truck driver, not a social worker.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I got into oil field work two years ago, doing flatbed. I drove an '07 Freightliner Century Classic for an owner for 18 months, then bought an '06 Kenworth T2000.

NEITHER truck is really up to oil field work. Fuggedaboutit plastic. I did replace the plastic bumper with a stainless steel bumper, but as another forum member said, "That's putting lipstick on a pig".

I have driven hundreds of oil field trucks for hire, for major oil companies, on a "drive away" program. They are ALL made of metal and they are ALL beat to ####.

There's no way you can team in oil field. The dirt roads aren't made for sleep. You grit your teeth and hope for the best if you didn't see that cattle guard with the foot deep trench in front of it in time to slow down to Granny Gear.

Dump your "friend". Do it on your own, with a REAL truck.

noluck and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree, I was going to move into the oil field segment with a vac trailers and also winch trucks, I was all set to do this until I discovered the life expectancy of the truck is really not that great and with limited resources in these areas, I can see a lot of downtime but when the bottom dropped out, it wasn't hard to give up the idea.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Only ship that don't sail is a partner ship!!! Don't do it. He'll ##### your credit when this deal goes south. Not if, but when.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.