Advice on getting plates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by buckeyedriver99, Jun 6, 2018.

1. buckeyedriver99

buckeyedriver99 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Lisbon, OH
    I am finally taking the leap from company driver to o/o. I've bought a truck and trailer, but I have yet to bring them home. My question is this, what do I need to legally drive them home? I called the Ohio BMV and they said I can register them in my personal name, (no way not happening) or a business name. From what I understand I have to have an EIN# and register the business name with the state of ohio. Is this correct? Oh yea.....everything will be insured (bobtail and deadhead). I already know who I'm leasing on to and have the lease (still yet to be signed) in hand. My goal is to be under my first load July 1st. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You can go to the IRS website and get a EIN in a few minutes. Hope things go well for you. Just remember you are now a business so run it like one.

buckeyedriver99 Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you're going to want a business name, get that set up before you get the EIN, and then get the EIN for that entity.

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    So what Ohio told you wasn't good enough? Get plates from whoever you're leasing on to.

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Your leasing to someone, if they are any kind of decent company they can get you tags and have you a temp in one hour.

The buy your own tag crowd be be along in a minute

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    He needs Ohio IRP to straighten him out or get base plates from his carrier.

8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If all your asking is how to get it home all you need is a temp tag from the state you're buying it in. Walk into there dmv with your insurance cards, filled out sales affidavit and signed title and they should issue you one. If your going to set up as a LLC or s corp, start getting the ball rolling now so you can put everything under your business name.

buckeyedriver99 Thanks this.
  9. buckeyedriver99

Jun 6, 2018
    Lisbon, OH
    I don't want to put all my trust in some person who works the counter at the BMV. For all I know she started last week. I want to walk in there confident that I have everything I need.

10. buckeyedriver99

Jun 6, 2018
    Lisbon, OH

Yes!! Yes!! Thank you Derailed That's the info I was looking for. Wife is an accountant. She is already on the LLC.

Derailed Thanks this.
  11. buckeyedriver99

Jun 6, 2018
    Lisbon, OH
    Than you everyone for your help. As far as the carrier providing plates......my truck, my trailer, my business, my plates.

NightWind Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.