Advice please?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jeffrey_L, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Jeffrey_L

Jeffrey_L Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Hey guys,

I was just looking for some advice.

I recently accepted a new position and I'm getting back on the road. I've been out of work for a few weeks now and money is tight.

just wondering if I could have some advice on how to get through my first two weeks on the road with little to no money until receive my first payment?

Any tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Food is the biggest expense. Focus on that until you receive your first paycheck.
    Stock up on items such as Ramen Noodles and instant coffee from Dollar store or Walmart. Can use the microwave at truck stops for free and get hot water out of the coffee machine.
    Showers are free when buying fuel; truck stops have their own policy on how much fuel you have to buy; maybe as little as 50 gallons.
    I realize that's not healthy eating for the long term, but it'll do for a couple of weeks.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No matter how tough it gets do not fall into the pay advance or payday lender trap. Never take advances from your employer or loans against your pay check, both are bad news.

Shop at a discount grocery store, buy onto the essentials, things like peanut butter, fruits, nuts and other high energy content food that is healthy. It will suck being somewhat hungry and eating an unusual diet but it is inexpensive and better for you than trying to survive off the dollar menu at McDonalds.

Buy a gallon of water while you are at the store, water is all you need to drink, it gets boring but will keep you hydrated and alive. Refrain from refilling that jug at the tap, too many different bacteria across the country so it could upset your stomach. Instead keep buying gallon jugs, they are usually a dollar or less, much better than a single bottle at the truck stop.

It will come down to extreme discipline with what little money you can scrap up. If you have time before you head out look around your home and sell off a few hundred dollars of extra stuff, have a quick garage sale or post stuff online. It is amazing how much extra stuff we have that is not needed that is easily turned into cash quickly.

Best wishes and keep your head up high. Struggle makes us stronger in the end, I am speaking from experience. I am comfortable now but it wasn't always that way. I have been one step from bankruptcy, living out of my truck with no money in my pocket or the bank. It sucks but is only temporary and it is amazing how much we can sacrifice if there is an end in sight or a worthwhile goal.

lynchy, Lav-25, LoneRanger and 8 others Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Can't you get a trip advance?

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    .....or do like @x1Heavy and go to the cooked hot dogs, usually by the coffee machine; turn your back to the cashier to block the view, then scarf down a couple of hot dogs.

lynchy, piston865, sevenmph and 14 others Thank this.
  7. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    A loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter for $5.
    Also, you are not burning many calories driving so you don't need to eat as much.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    tscottme, rachi, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sam's Club is good for that also.

D.Tibbitt and OldeSkool Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    There is no free lunch, that's what charge cards are for,,,

10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Tuna, crackers, case of water - loaf of bread, peanut butter . . .

Been there - you'd be surprised how little you can spend on sustaining your body when times are rough.

I lost 35 odd pounds my first 2 months of driving.

lynchy, D.Tibbitt, Doealex and 2 others Thank this.
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    My old co-driver did that the whole time we drove together, One Year. Everytime we got fuel, he got an advance. He dint have but two bills, cell fone, and his truck school payment. But managed to blow his whole check on stuff like truck stop trinkets and other junk. I think he;s still doing it lol -

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.