After all manner of diagnostic tests with

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Timin770, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

Is a "service monitor" something the Average Joe would possess?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    And what about the guys who are not named joe?

4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    A boy named, Sue, maybe?

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Probably not but them someone who claims to be a radio tech that's going to align your radio should have similar equipment. You need to be able to measure accurately the rf power, and modulation and see the wave form to effectively adjust a transmitter, CB or FM commercial really does not matter. both should be adjusted correctly with test equipment not by ear, yelling Hhheeeelllloooo.

6. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Immediately upon receiving my optimized radio I would want to see/hear results in a way that I understand, keeping in mind I don't have tech tools

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    First thing you have to realize is a optimized radio simply means 4 watts and close to 100 percent modulation, don't pay extra your not going to get your dollars worth. Stock radios put out the same.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Are you sure? I haven't seen anyone else show us anything like this.
    80 hertz to 7000 hertz without Distortion anywhere in between has only been demonstrated by one person. There's a few textbook technicians that use an automatic sweep to conceal what's going on in between the ends because it sweeps so fast you can't see what's going on . It's kind of difficult to do on these junky export radios and virtually impossible to do without replacing the final transistors with a matched pair. Hopefully someone can come out of the woodwork and show us something like this.

Any good technician can show you a perfect waveform at 1000 Hertz. Gullible customers would have no idea if there was massive Distortion at 900 hertz and below because nobody shows you anything like that.
    Here's a highly respected technician making excuses for his inability to remove that Distortion from the bottom end. I had to slow it down drastically so you could see the distortion

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, a guru means what?

Come on, explain it ...

My studies it means someone of supreme importance and an expert on the disciple that they ventured into. Now you know I mentioned some of the people I knew/know in the past, and not one of your techs can hold up to them but they are not experts by any means.

If you haven't seen anyone else show you things that one person has shown you, maybe you need to get out of the CB world and enter the world of RF to learn what really is out there.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    My definition would be someone who can make a 10-meter radio produce a perfect waveform from 100 Hertz to 7,000 Hertz with zero Distortion anywhere in between consistently every time without making excuses for why it's not possible. That would be a pretty good definition I would think since nobody else seems to achieve this and everybody wants to make excuses for why they can't do it. Guru's don't make excuses they just get things done.
    It reminds me of a friend in the Building Trades who was the master of every aspect of the construction industry. He had a knack picking up skills passed on to him by people who are experts in their field. If he didn't know how to do something he would hire an expert in that particular area who had been doing it for 75 years and that guy would teach him all the tricks and within a couple hours my buddy would figure out an easier or more efficient way of accomplishing the same thing like bending Cove Base on linoleum like they used to do back in the old days by hitting it with a torch and cutting it a certain way in the corners and bending it up the wall. Some of those old construction techniques are very difficult to do and you would never find a Craftsman these days capable of doing some of those old school construction techniques. My buddy was pretty much a guru at anything he set out to achieve after being taught how to do it by the best in the business.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I literally know nothing about either one. I do have however just enough shortwave and a few other tidbits to be dangerous. I prefer to let others worry about those things. I still have my stock Uniden pc76 XL out of Calhoun LA won with proceeds from a Card game. It's not much, but it is a good radio that has actually saved lives with my deafness that otherwise would have gotten people killed or myself. (A external speaker capable of filtering out noise) A nice quiet powered one.

Ive talked to the Pilot Fuel stop near the CA Border 12 to 14 miles away on the interstate when they are just a red dot on the hill to my eyes. Lake Havastu I believe. There have been times Ive collected communications from a few dozen miles away, more than likely if you are few miles and need to say something I'll get it soon enough.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.