After First Self-driving Fatality, Experts Say Millennials Might Flock to Become Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Brucely, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 386lover

386lover Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I feel bad for the woman of course. But I have to say that this type of thing is actually good for truck drivers. It may sound heartless but this should slow them down on trying to get all these fleets to buy autonomous trucks. The truth is the technology is not there yet. And all these mega companies just want to get out of paying a fair wage to somebody. I often sit in the bunk and wonder where everyone will be working when machines take all the jobs. I mean if you can't work how will you live (food, rent, etc...) What are we just supposed to f off and die?

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Until, of course, it's revealed that the pedestrian jumped out from behind a car or something similar.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Can't see how it'll be a cash cow. The megas can stick that 25 cents/mile crap straight up their rear. I have pride enough to not subject myself to that level of mediocrity. Even if it is just for 1 year.

6. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    They've had time to have a meeting and make a decision about their futures... relate it to a reporter.. and get it in print.
    All in less than a day !!

I think it's a stretch.

Driving jobs are still gonna have to really change into a hugely local/regional position in the near future with hubs and relays moving loads because MOST new drivers will not be away from home like we are.

They want to be home every night, go to all the kids games, be at all the birthday parties, and doctors appointments... and still make $80,000 a year.

Well... so do I. But, I live in reality.
    There aren't very many of those positions.

I can make the $80-100k... but I have to do some sacrificing.

drvrtech77, Blackshack46 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    So there’s going to be a lot more millennials on here asking retarded questions? I like it.

Crude Truckin', AZ Pete, PPDCT and 6 others Thank this.
  8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian in Arizona, Where Robots Roam

'The Uber car, a Volvo XC90 sport utility vehicle outfitted with the company’s sensing system, was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel but carrying no passengers when it struck Elaine Herzberg, a 49-year-old woman, on Sunday around 10 p.m.'

I think the accident says more about the 'safety driver' than it does the autonomous technology at this, early, burgeoning, stage in it's technology.

As far as trucking becoming a hidden cash cow..... no way. We're getting the tech too. Like it or not. And for millennials? I'm a millennial ('84)..... that headline is click-bait meant to make the older guys cream their jeans & get their hackles up about *shakes fist at sky* everything wrong with this world - 'back in my day!!!!'.

Safety driver - He / she / it should probably face a manslaughter charge. Isn't any vehicle purely autonomous right now. Zippy shouldn't have expected it to be & probably shouldn't have been FaceBook Live while babysitting a car (purely misanthropic guess re: the driver's behavior, but I doubt I'm off by much - they were distracted otherwise they would have managed to find the #### brake pedal).

9. fatmike02

fatmike02 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Wasn’t the cars fault but anyhow, I can’t see self driving trucks for as long as I’m alive. A self driving tractor trailer can’t find its way around city straights or negotiate turns with hidden obstacles that aren’t on maps. It’s gonna take a long time for technology to figure all that out. Many years. By then, there will be another world war or something but anyhow, it’ll be another 50 years. Cars? Maybe. But trucks, I don’t see it

mtoo and KillingTime Thank this.
  10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    This is considered 'Final Mile'.
    A truck will run itself down the highway, but will require an operator to drive 'the final mile' down city streets to the receiver / warehouse / DC.

It's feasible. Likely, actually. Autonomous tech will be instituted on long-haul rigs before any guy doing LTL City P&D, Food Service or State Route running. The non-specialized dry van wankers are the ones in a tizzy about this. And rightly so..... but it won't happen very soon.

Dan.S and gentleroger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.