After First Self-driving Fatality, Experts Say Millennials Might Flock to Become Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Brucely, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I'm a millennial too, and i want to get into the truck driving biz lol. that's why i'm here.

i admit i see ads on CL all the time and on the news it always talks about how there's not enough truck drivers, so they're just giving more money.

and if it's true that truck drivers are just getting older and older and no one young is replacing them... then yeah, i guess there would be super demand for younger truck drivers.

BUT WTF. U MEAN THE SELF-DRIVING CAR WASN'T EVEN CARRYING PASSENGERS? IT JUST SMASHED INTO SOMEONE FOR NO REASON?

That makes her death totally worthless wtf!!! The car was basically driving around WITHOUT ANYONE INSIDE for NO REASON? THAT'S MESSED UP!

Why are these stupid self-driving ####s allowed without a driver?? WHAT IS THE POINT OF A CAR DRIVING WITH NO OCCUPANTS LOL?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    No, no, no. See my first post here (#7).
    There was an inattentive 'safety driver' on board. And this falls back to a primary point - there are NO truly autonomous vehicles. There will not be for a long time. But during the advent and inception of the technology, vehicles will have babysitters. This particular babysitter failed & killed someone.

Too dumb to drive an autonomous car is a real thing, folks. Here's the proof (see article).

magoo68 and Brucely Thank this.
  4. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    Thanks.... oh man sorry everyone for freaking out. It's just, man the thought of a runaway "self-driving" robot car just makes no sense if it killed someone.

Imho, if you let a self-driving car kill someone and you were in the car... it's time for your license to be revoked LOL.

But he won't be charged for criminal manslaughter or whatever just because it was "the car that killed her" oh my gad.

5. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Millennials flocking to trucking?bahahaha!! That will be the day I'm a millennial myself, started at 22 and am now 30. I can tell you this, NOBODY I know of my generation wants anything to do with trucking. They love to see my checks and I even offer to help them get in the industry, but when I tell them about the sacrifices we have all made, they turn it down. Which is fine by me more work for me, I'll keep my local near six figure wage while they struggle to pay off that degree they can't use.

Mainah, Dan.S, drver60021 and 7 others Thank this.
  6. Rollr4872

Rollr4872 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I’m ten years younger than you and I’m wanting to get into trucking, have wanted to my whole life and am finally getting to the age to actually make it happen Im sure I’m not alone on that too so there’s most likely others that want to get into, just not sure how many lol

Brucely Thanks this.
  7. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Trucking wasn't my first choice right after high school, went into the marines but was discharged due to medical. Then the economy was tanking and I thought well will give this trucking thing a try and I never looked back. Just me and the open road at 22. This city boy got to see everthing we are blessed to have in this country. From the Rockies, to them fly over states to the east coast. Although there wasn't much money in it at first I didn't even care lol. I love what I do and still do even though I stay local these days.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  8. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    wait, so when you say there wasn't money in it at first... how many years? and how much roughly were you making those years?

9. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Well i went OTR for a mega so wasn't the best choice I started making decent money after the first year. Just like the old timers said i would as long as you keep you nose clean. Then I went into tanker work and it got real good with less time on the road.

Brucely Thanks this.
  10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Dont think that local is 9-5 with weekends off. I only get a consecutive saturday and sunday off every 6 weeks. The rest of my weekends consist of weekdays. You can always go be a boring door slammer:p and you will for sure have bankers hours.

11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    As far as the UBER vehicle having an inattentive person behind the wheel whom failed to take the reins when trouble arose to avoid an accident, I've had this one main thought regarding the developing technology.

If you have to be behind the wheel.. ready for action at a seconds notice to intervene.. why not just drive the vehicle??

That would be 3x more exhausting and mentally stressful just waiting on edge all day for a catastrophe to strike.

halfburn and Brucely Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.