After First Self-driving Fatality, Experts Say Millennials Might Flock to Become Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Brucely, Mar 19, 2018.

1. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    But they are helping you with a cdl and experience. That alone has to be worth while huh?

tucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There are a plenty of higher paying driving jobs. Some are home every night, some are home every weekend. But you just have to know where to look. Or move to the right city.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I paid $8k out of pocket for my training. I'm in no desperate rush to become a driver so if something decent pops up I'll take it. If not, I'll keep fixing trucks and doing the odd test drive.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Funny, true, and illuminating.

6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Us older millennials are already here. Honestly I think most of the #####ing you hear from 40+ year old's about 12-28 year olds never changes. Every year the same ages complain about the same other ages. When you guys were 12-28 your elders were talking about how you were the worst generation in American history. Speaking as a millennial living in the world your generation created I think that your elders might have been right. To hear you guys tell it everything was better in the good old days. The good old days is what you inherited and 2018 is what you created with that inheritance... So I'm not super pleased with you guys either lol.

EDIT: Seriously if I hear one more old person ##### about participation trophies I'm going to scream. Does anyone think that the participation trophies were our idea? Children definitely did not come up with that idea. No... the boomers were such snowflakes and so traumatized by their own youth sports experiences that they tried to bubble wrap that for their children... And then called their children's generation soft for being babied by themselves. Like I said... the worst generation. I definitely destroyed the one participation trophy I got. I literally threw it in the lake behind our house (at the time we lived in Maine where, in the 90's, you could buy a lakefront house for 50k... in the middle of nowhere ofc) out of pure rage and spite. I didn't handle losing very well then either I guess.

The boomers have never made a difficult self sacrificing political decision in their lives, took TONS of drugs and then locked up tons of the next generation for insane sentences, refused to pay for infrastructure, and let the medical system melt completely down. I make a decent six figure living and I don't have health insurance this year because Boomer politicians are literally the worst thing to happen to this country since the Civil War. Both parties absolutely included.

At least I get to go to sleep at night knowing that you guys don't have enough money to retire on. I hope all of you collectively work until the day you die... Because I'm carrying 100k in student loans between my wife and I and between that and the 35% of our income we're giving the government to not build roads (the only government service I can honestly say I use) we'd rather move to another country than give up another penny. I'd feel worse about saying this if I thought I had a chance of getting retirement myself that I didn't have to pay for 100% myself. At least the people who caused the situation will have to experience SOME consequences in their twilight years.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    tucker, Brucely, loudtom and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Man, that's how all parents are. Tbh, I've said to myself a lot that I won't make the same mistakes my parents did.

My mom would raise me and my bro a certain way, then randomly chastise us for not being an opposite way. Very traumatic when you're a child, but when you're older you see she's just an idiot and you understand.

I think all parents are that way. No one has a PhD in psychology or are professional parents. Parenting isn't an active thing, it's a passive thing that you do when you're relaxed (i think?) It's informal, and so people are more carelss about it. And when they raise their kids one way without thinking ahead about the effects of that raising, they just yell because they don't like the outcome.

And that's why millennials are taking slack. It's just that parent-child effect en masse.

I'm going to raise my kids when i get kids with more forethought. But, I know I'll make a mistake, and that's fine. As long as I can tell myself I thought of every angle, then I can just apologize to my kids when they're older and bring out my notes and show them that I thought about hte consequences before I raised them a certain way, and here's my reasoning... and if there were some holes in my plan that resulted in you guys being traumatized, then I'm sorry, I"m only human and hopefully you'll do better with your kids.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Great post, you deserve this
    3E4D7BAB-49A3-4F59-A33E-C8A895D155C2.jpeg

Dan.S and AZ Pete Thank this.
  9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Like seriously I don't mind the 35%... but I'd like to get something for that. I don't care about blowing up brown people and I'd end social security and seize all of your pensions to pay down the national debt and pay off my generations student loans if I could. That's not fair? Why? because another generation is directly taking #### from you? I have NO idea what that's like lol.

At the very least I expect excellent infrastructure, decent schools (or the government to get out of the school business... I'm actually agnostic as long as I don't feel obligated to home school my kids to stop the government from wasting 50% of their waking hours for 12 years), affordable healthcare, and I expect us to feel safe when we go outside. Right now we're 0/3.

We're at a point where there have to be consequences for the Boomers or being a selfish piece of crap will become a permanent part of our national culture. This can't just get let go. I get you guys grew up saluting the flag and then got sent to Vietnam but that well earned cynicism doesn't actually justify the nihilistic way you all collectively lined your pockets at the expense of literally everything and everyone else for the rest of your miserable lives. Of course rich and powerful boomers bear more of the blame than those further down the ladder, but I don't think it's fair to blame the best examples of a generation, built up for representing the values of that generation, for being entirely the product of the time and culture they lived in. That culture is on everyone who got old enough to vote between 1965 and 1985.

This is how history is going to view this time period. It's that decadent time right before the fall of the empire most likely. I seriously hope I'm wrong... and if I'm right I hope we land on our feet and get to slowly circle the toilet like Britain. If we do I'll still get to have a pretty decent life. But that won't be thanks to the Boomers it will be despite them.

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You’re not paying anywhere near 35 percent in Federal taxes today.
    Do some research and see what our ancestors tax rates were in the 1960s, 70’s and 80, plus look at what it cost them in interest to borrow money.

11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I'm talking federal + state + local + property + sales+ business. It's every bit of 35 cents on every dollar I bring in. Hell it's probably higher. I can't really say the exact number without basically copping to exactly what I make and that's a little awkward. And that's going to get worse as I move up.

EDIT: And I know my history. I know exactly how much the boomers parents paid. They haven't been asked to pay rates remotely close to that since the 80's. The boomers started getting powerful in the 80's through their twilight years today. The end can't come soon enough. The 'greatest generation' lived through the depression, fought ww2, and paid double the taxes of the boomers. The boomers came into the world on a giant inter-generational wealth transfer from their parents and very clearly intend to exit with a giant sucking noise on the way out. Thanks for making the world a better place guys!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.