Aftermarket cross tube

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    So I'm trying to finish up the tie rods on my truck.

The threads inside the tube are too bad on the one that I have so I need to get another tube.

I have a supplier that says he can get me an auto Mann cross tube. Does anyone have experience with auto Mann?

What problems can happen from using an after-market cross tube rather than genuine Meritor?

The aftermarket is 129 and I can have that in about a day or so. Genuine Meritor is around 266, but I have to wait almost two weeks for it.

I do have genuine Meritor tie rod ends.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I have used AutoMann products without any problems for about 5 years now.

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I am gonna rub in a little I told you so..........

I sold a complete assembly today. 169 to the customer. This is tube ends and clamps all OEM and already assembled. 1.5 hrs total including set toe.

The tube is 2 weeks out cuz no one buys it without the ends. Long items come truck freight and to get good pricing dealers and parts houses buy in bulk and ship them together. This is how good pricing "can" be passed on.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    AutoMann is ok. I have installed several and the threads just aren't as smooth as they should be. Cheap for a reason. I always fully unthread the ends and apply anti seize, so this is how I know. I found by accident one day that Stemco makes a complete universal assembly called QuickTie. Beautiful! Check it out!
    http://www.stemco.com/f/qbin/STEMKAI_QwikTie Sell Sheet_v9r2_fnl_lr.pdf

6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    I guess that's how you learn sometimes, LOL.

Actually I did look around for the cross tube assembly originally before I even bought the ends. I did not exhaust all the options of looking, but the places I looked were all 4 and $500 for the assembly. I just figured that for my truck that's where it was going to be.

If I could have found 169 out the door I would have jumped on that.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    I like stemco products. I like the idea of their pinion seals that you don't need a wear ring.

Amazon has that cross tube assembly for $215 delivered. Wish I would have known.

I don't think Freightliner will take back the tie rod ends because I opened them. I will talk to them tomorrow.

Live and learn.

Rideandrepair and Heavyd Thank this.
  8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I do give you credit for trying. If it's your truck you can spend as much of "your" time as you like to save money on parts.

In a production shop you cant take over an hour to save a 200 dollar part or you have allready lost or spent too much of the customers money. It's a give and take and hard to gauge sometimes.

Rideandrepair, Heavyd, xsetra and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    The funny thing is that I do like to save money if I can but this in particular wasn't necessarily about saving money.

It might sound silly, but I didn't really understand why the cross tube would have to be replaced unless it was bent or damaged. I have found that any repair that I have not done before, like this one, I have to actually do it to really understand everything involved. And it takes me more time the first time.

Now that my truck is just about ready for the road, I can certainly see why spending an extra hundred dollars or more is worth it if it will save time and aggravation.

Whether that means buying the complete part, or buying the right tool, spending a little more to save time is a good investment.

spsauerland and xsetra Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.