Air brake restriction and towing a trailer with air brakes?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by raydayk, Jul 29, 2021.

1. raydayk

raydayk Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    I have a vehicle (25,100 gvrw) with air brakes towing a 30k trailer with electric brakes. I do not need a CDL to drive the truck by its self regardless of air brakes ( I checked with ODOT and DMV) but I do need the CDL to tow the trailer and truck combo. My question is do I need the air brake restriction lifted? Does the fact of having the trailer on there change the rule somehow making the under 26001 lb rule irrelevant?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yes. You'll need an "A" license, combination. Your truck is a CMV when towing the trailer, and that truck has airbrakes.

@ZVar back me up!

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yep. The combination of a 30k trailer and 25k truck exceeds the 26k combined weight rating required for a CDL. The 30k trailer means the CDL has to be a class A.
    At that point all CDL rules are in effect including no air brake restrictions and even so far as requiring being in a drug testing pool.
    In the eyes of the law it's no different than a full semi pulling a 53' trailer.

All that said, if you are doing ag work every state has exceptions....

Bean Jr. and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Is this "vehicle" actually a commercial vehicle? Are you towing a travel trailer etc? Don't jump the shark on this. Need some more information. Look at this section of 383.5 VERY carefully! Take note of what I made bold!

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle is a—
    (1) Combination Vehicle (Group A)—having a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or
    (2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)—having a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or
    (3) Small Vehicle (Group C) that does not meet Group A or B requirements but that either—
    (i) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
    (ii) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.

TTNJ Thanks this.
  6. raydayk

raydayk Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Thank you for the response. I am getting the restriction lifted regardless. i will do the knowledge and skills test for everything besides school bus anyhow. It was purely a curiosity. I have a lot of lunch room lawyers as i like to call em, trying to help me out but they are going to get me in trouble. My issue was nobody at the government offices wanted to dig into it for me as it should be. They have way bigger things to deal with.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If there is one in your area, you can always run up to a scale house and ask them.....

8. raydayk

raydayk Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Yeah man thats a great idea!

9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    “Lunch room lawyers”

Got a number for one of ‘em? I been thinking about setting up a trust.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.