Air Brakes Question, 3 pumps and warning light comes on?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DBIGUY, Jan 19, 2019.

1. DBIGUY

DBIGUY Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Hi All,

System has been checked out and no leaks. It does hold pressure when foot is applied and held. However I am curious if they are pumped while engine is running and idling. How many pumps should it take before pressure drops to low (warning light at 60psi). This is a tractor and 53 foot trailer. I get 3 maybe 4 pumps.

Again system is not leaking.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Try it and see.

In the old days when DOT man is walking towards me from the coop house (Im usually parked at the very end of his row for that reason...) for a inspection that includes brake length, I would apply the service brake to the floor about 7 or so times. That would drain the air mostly and trigger the low air. And set the slack adjusters somewhat into adjustment if they were not. By the time he got to the truck the air is usually back to or close to normal and ready for the inspection.

So if it took you 3 or 4 times to the floor draining the necessary air to trigger the warning then you should be in pretty good shape. It is not something that is done normally. But I would say from your description that your rig is behaving exactly what I would expect a 18 wheeler to behave being treated like that.

adayrider Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Start with draining your air tanks.

Edit: Didn't have enough time to finish my post. If you've got lots of water in the air tanks, it takes away reservoir volume (less storage capacity). I've seen some trucks with several litres of water in the tanks before when lack of air system capacity was the complaint.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Dan.S, blairandgretchen and uncleal13 Thank this.
  5. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Then,check your brake adjustment.

6. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Also depends on how hard you pump. (That’s what she said)

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The behavior I described in my posts is with a full up working 18 wheeler with no water in the tanks and tanks themselves are drained by a air dryer that removed fluids before the supply air is sent to the dry tank to be held for use in braking.

Many truck tanks have drain valves on the ends where you can dive under there and open up. In a minute you will know very fast if that tank contains sludge. oil, water etc. If so, drain em overnight with engine off. Otherwise that sludge will try to get to your brake chambers and start eating the rubber divider between your service application chamber and the emergency (Parking) spring chamber creating for you a very dangerous brake leak every time you apply the service braking.

adayrider Thanks this.
  8. DBIGUY

DBIGUY Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Thank you all. I will drain the tanks. I was under the assumption they were self draining but of course you know what assuming does. I did have the brakes adjusted at the shop. We have had the truck a little over a year and have had it serviced properly by shop but I have never drained the tanks so it is sure worth doing. It has been cold and wet here as well.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I can gaurantee if you had water in the tanks. You'd already know about it by now as you wouldn't be able to get the truck OR trailer aired up to release the brakes to move. If the temps are cold enough for water to freeze.

But it never hurts to check. No one does it and those things freeze up if you have the screw out types instead of the cable that pulls.

I just went through this 3 weeks ago. And it don't take much water. Maybe a spoonful to cause problems.

I don't know how many pumps it takes but it's more then 3 or 4. You've probably got a leak with the brakes applied if you can't hear anything without the brakes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  10. Sdatruckinginc

Sdatruckinginc Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Had same problem but brakes were way out of adj should take ten or twelve pumps or more to drain air

11. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    If your sitting still not moving, it will take 3 or 4 full to the floor pumps and the light and buzzer will be on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.