Air conditioning is it required in Texas

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Clipboard, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Clipboard

Clipboard Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Just wondering if commercial vehicles are required to have working A/C. If not, why not. Especially in the southern states:biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    I never had AC until 86, got along fine without it for 31 years. In those days you could sleep with the windows down and sleeper door open. Would I be without it today? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

I've never seen a requirement. We asked the same question when we had a truck with no A/C that came from another terminal and we were in Las Vegas NV. They told us that the only requirement was to have an heater but I haven't seen that in writing either.

5. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Very good question!

I know UNION contracts do state that the A/C must be in working order.

6. illegal_eagle187

illegal_eagle187 Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    you wouldn't want those union employees complainin' lol somebody would get a greivance filed against them

7. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    No, it is not required in TX. Sure is nice from about mid April til October though. I've never seen an a/c requirement from any state.

8. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I tend to be in the crowd with A/C is essential, heater is not. I can always add blankets or gloves, but I can only get so nekkid while I'm driving.

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Actually a heater is not required equipment either. But you must have a defroster. Hence you see many bread trucks and other stepvan types that have those little fans sitting on the dashboard, aimed at the windshield.

IMHO both heaters and air conditioners SHOULD be mandatory on all commercial vehicles.

10. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    If you don't like the equipment and it's somehow unsafe to drive, simply don't drive it. We don't need Uncle Sam to tell us that we need a heater. If you're not capable of driving the truck without it, just don't drive it.

11. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    The problem is, of course, that what's unsafe is then left up to the individual. Take a look at the 4-wheelers the next time it snows. How many of them have cleared all the windows and brushed off the horizontal surfaces of their vehicles? How many of them are driving through a small defrosted spot on the windshield?

I've never seen a trucker try to drive with fog on the glass. And, sorry, I refuse to believe that every single trucker cares that much about safety. A pretty good percentage would, I'm willing to bet, say "I can see the road in front of me - let's go!". Seems to me, regulations fit into there, somewhere.

When the dollar rules your life, everything else is secondary.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.