Air dryer shooting every 20 seconds

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Antonovich, Nov 15, 2019.

1. BigG2224

BigG2224 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Yeah man sounds good, glad u figured it out without spending big money. Sometimes it’s just something stupid or little that can cause bigger problems.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Hit it with some soapy water to make sure it's not leaking any. Chances are the seal is no longer air tight, but that's nothing a little gasket goo cant fix when you get a few minutes.

3. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    So, bringing this thread back. My bolts came a little loose again, so I decided to replace the governor and the gasket. There is still an air leak at the gasket right before the governor cuts in.

So how can I fix that air leak? Since the gasket has 3 holes, but only the center hole is used for air while the 2 on the sides are simply bolt pass-throughs, can I use a simple rubber O-ring around the center hole? Have a whole pack of O-rings...

4. chat1850

chat1850 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Air leak can cause the problem also air governor, also check the 1/4 inch air lines from governor to tank.

5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Bendix has a better steel backed gasket for the governor, I can get the P/N Monday if you want it.

Wheeljack Thanks this.
  6. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    Nah, I bought some Gasket Maker, I'll try that first. Everything works as it should, it's just the air dryer starts fluttering right as the governor is about to cut back in. That lasts for about 10 seconds. So it's great improvement from my original post, just not perfect.

And when the air pressure builds up and the air dryer purges, it still sounds like an air cannon. I guess a new purge valve would solve that. Whatever, it happens every 1-2 hours.

7. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    So, bringing this thread back because I have another issue with the governor or air dryer.

I still get the fluttering sound right before the governor kicks back in, but now after starting the truck or driving for a while, the flutter can last indefinitely until I hit the brake a few times. Also, sometimes while driving, as the governor is about to kick in, after the initial 5 seconds of flutter, I basically get an air leak from the dryer. Sounds like it's just dumping most air that comes in it. It still pumps the air tanks, but very slowly. Hitting the brakes past the governor cut in pressure resumes normal operation, and air is pumped normally. And after driving for a while with that "air leak", the dryer purges so loud that it shakes my whole cab.

Checked the governor for air leak during flutter, no air leaks. Also checked the fittings around the air dryer - no air leak.

So, bad air purge valve?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.