Air Dryer.......

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Lazer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Howdy all,
    got 1998 Kenworth 800, with a Cummins. Air Dryer is spitting engine oil. Over 1 million on the engine, I imagine the air compressor is the source.
    The air dryer is located on the passenger side, behind the front bumper. Of course located there, it don’t take much too make a heck of a mess .
    What would be a good ‘internet diagnosis’ as to cost, and difficulty of repair. TIA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    I wouldn't mess around with the compressor. Just put in a new one. It could fail and metal could get to the valves and engine through the intake manifold. There are probably aftermarkets that are half the price of oem (rebuilt) if you don't want to rebuild the engine when it is time, but you want to run it as long as you can. Depending upon the condition of the drier, I would simply install a new incandescent cartridge and purge valve. Look for pitting from corrosion where the O-ring for the valve seats with the drier housing. If there is pitting, then there is a good chance air will eventually leak through if you only replace the purge valve. Some people go so far as dropping the air tanks and cleaning out any oil because it can mess with the functioning of valves. I never went so far and never had a problem. And I have gone through this 2 times on 2 different trucks. I suppose it depends on how much oil got in them.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    No oil dripping out the air tanks.
    Looking at it now, the compressor appears to have been replaced in the past(if I’m looking at the correct spot). It is a different color than the rest of the engine. It has a tag on it ‘Haldex’ remanufactured. Part # 3558072X serial #02720

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The air dryer is first stop for the air. Oil should stop there and not get to tanks.

6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    But a new Air comp. soon not a rebuilt comp. they don't last near as long as a new one and the cost is not much more money, bought a rebuilt comp. from truck pro and it only lasted 6 mo, and was spitting out more oil out of dryer than the one that had 800,000 mi. on it, when l tried to return it they told me they had to mail it back to rebuilder and wait till they took it a/part to find out what was wrong, l wanted to trade it in and get another rebuilt one, after l I was out the door they put a sign on ft. door about their warrantees my friend told me, l went and got a new comp. and air dryer from some where else, when l got time l took it apart and it had maybe 2 or 3 new parts in the rebuild, they just fixed what was broken like rings in a wore out bore that had marks in it like it was junk?

7. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I bought a reman for Cummins ISX from a local small truck parts dealer and it made it about 6 months and the crank broke and it broke the compressor in half. I took it back for warranty and they said that they would have to send it in for testing to see if they could warranty it. A month later they told me that they were going to warranty it because I was a good customer but the reason it did what it did was because of carbon build up. I told them don't worry about me buying any more compressors from them. Had issues with air dryers as well (failing and warranty hassle).

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Change the dryer cartridge as well. Once they're oil saturated they're done.

9. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    If it's a Bendix Dryer I agree if it's a cheap of brand just replace the whole thing..

10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have had good luck with Bepco products.

Rideandrepair and spsauerland Thank this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I bought a reman Haldex 550 tuflo from Freightliner, it was a decent price. It’s been about 5 yrs. maybe. It’s pushing more oil now, than my original 16 yr old one was. Bought a Reman AD9 air drier from Fleetco, about 18 mos ago. Filter needs changing. Noticed some moisture/ oil from the Blow gun recently. I guess they don’t make them like they used to. Already oil soaked. I hear every year, but usually I only change filter once every 2 or 3 yrs. before winter. Then replace the whole drier, next time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.