Air problem

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 2hot2handle, May 21, 2019.

1. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2015
    I have multiple issues with my air system. 2011 columbia day cab.
    1. Sometimes when I set the brakes the truck will creep forward or backward, depending on slope, for a few seconds like the parking breaks aren't engaged.
    I've also noticed that sometimes when pulling the parking break the trailer supply won't pop automatically. Two new brake chambers btw on the axle with the parking brakes. Was doing it before replacement and after.
    2. Sometimes when I back under a trailer, typically a heavier loaded one, with full air tanks, I'll get out to hook up and when I get back in the truck to supply air my warning beeper is going off and the psi is at 6o on both tanks and won't rebuild even at high idle. I'll spend ten minutes and it won't rebuild. No audible leaks but im not the best at hearing. I'll shut down the truck and restart or just supply air at around 60 or 70psi and as im idling through the yard it will build up to 125psi and be good the rest of the trip.
    3. Everyday when I get to my truck I have to build air which is not uncommon to me as most trucks I drove as a company driver did this but on my truck the secondary tank is the only one that looses pressure overnight.
    If I bleed the both tanks down they build up simultaneously.
    Just trying to figure this thing out.
    I replaced my airline's awhile back to convert to rubber lines and I have a bendix valve on each line which I assume is a quick release valve. I had to remove them and not sure which one went on which line when replacing but they are identical so i don't think that is causing it. They are each pointed in the direction of flow by the arrow cast on the valve.
    Also when the truck looses air after backing under a trailer like I mentioned when I do supply air you can hear air in the dash for quite a while in the valves.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2hot2handle

Aug 25, 2015
    Anyone? Treadle valve? Qr valve? Valve in dash?

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m not a mechanic, but maybe a brake chamber causing air noise in dash valve. Tiny hole in pancake that seals up. If so it will eventually become s worse leak, able to be found. Maybe air levelor valve seeping, while hooking up, causing low buzzer, Maybe dash valve going bad. I’ve had all of these issues with my Freightliner

5. 2hot2handle

Aug 25, 2015
    Ok thanks. I'll start looking around more thoroughly.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Get yourself a good spray bottle and some soapy solution. Start spraying.

Nobody can pinpoint your problem with the info provided. In fact, you could write a book on your symptoms and it wouldn't help. Get a bottle. Start spraying. When you see bubbles, fix it. But don't stop there. Keep going til you've checked the whole system. Of course, there are a few things you can't really check such as the air bags inside your seat (if you have one with air lumbar support).

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. 2hot2handle

Aug 25, 2015
    10-4. Now if someone could just tell me where to find some more hours in the day. Seems like everytime something needs done something else needs done first.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.