Air supply modification

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 7mouths2feed, Dec 4, 2009.

1. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I had to replace a head gasket and also found a broken injector spring. While it was down I opted to intall new O'rings on ALL injectors. As with anytime the rockers have been removed I needed to run the overhead on the engine. To do this you need to rotate the motor which on the N-14 is done by turning the accessory drive pulley. The pulley is easy enough to get to however the fan blade tends to get in the way of the wrench. In order to get the blade out of the way you need to pressurize the system and engage the solenoid to allow the fan clutch to free-wheel. Now there are several ways of accomplishing this. Of course you can crank the truck and let the compressor do the work but then you are dealing with a hot engine and valves should always be adjusted cold. You can put a fitting on one of the tanks but even that can be somewhat cumbersome to access especially on a truck with fairings. Each application will need to be determined as to the parts and pieces needed to accomplish the same thing but I think this will give you a good idea of what you will need to do for your truck. So here is my fix :

#1 offending fan blade against the wrench
    #2 you will see the compressor and the location where I will be modifying the plumbing.
    #3 Removed fitting
    #4 Parts from local hardware store. About $10
    #5 First mock-up which put the air coupling into the back of the power steering resevoir.
    #6 modified mock-up with 90 elbow added.
    #7 for the purpose of releasing the fan clutch I chose to use a motorcycle battery and jumpers to activate the solenoid and free-wheel the fan. You can turn the key to accomplish the same thing but I prefer not to energize the whole electrical system.
    Final assembly photo not available since the rain started in on me and I was working outside.

Aside from adjusting the valves this modification would come in handy for other applications where you want to have a charged air system without having to run the truck. Replace a shifter knob and it would stink to have to climb under to fix an air-leak at the trans when its hot. Hope this helps some folks out. Best Wishes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, looks good. These are great fittings to have. All trucks should have them. Makes it easier to move the truck if it is disabled too!

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  4. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    very good point HD.. it can be air'd up by any source. If you carry a glad hand connectable air-line it can be aired up by the truck next to you and then pulled into a shop or otherwise moved since the brakes could then be released.

5. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Great idea, my opinion is every truck needs a way to air up the system without the engine. We have a quick coupler behind the cab on ours that works nicely. Along that same line, having a glad hand that will plug into the shop air line to air up a trailer for brake adjustments or checking for leaks is a cheap tool that comes in handy a lot.

dairyman Thanks this.
  6. gafred99

gafred99 Light Load Member

May 28, 2009
    Tignall
    Here is my adapter, I take supply hose off from compressor and attach to mine.

Then shop air, I supply it slow to avoid any ruptures.

Attached Files:

7. gafred99

gafred99 Light Load Member

May 28, 2009
    Tignall

A loooong time ago I saw a Mack concrete mixer truck supply air to another for air starter.
    Had the fitting right by the driver door.

8. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    great idea 5mouths,hows the o'l girl runnin since you got er back together?

9. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    TRuck finally all back together and ready to hit the road. Seemed everytime I fixed something I found something else. Lots of little air leaks that I hadn't noticed before I installed the air adapter. spent as much or more time running down little parts as I did working on the truck. I suppose all those little things are to be expected when theres over a million miles on them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.