Air Suspension Gauge hookup question.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by LoneRanger, Sep 17, 2021.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I’ve looked at instructions on a right way air suspension gauge installation and it looks straightforward. My question is instead of using one airbag for the source possibility of using 4 airbags.

here is what I am thinking. Install T fittings on all airbags, connect the main lines coming in to the T fittings, then connect the other outlets to a 4 way fitting and run the 1/4 hose to the gauge.

This way all 4 airbags are equalized under pressure and I’m thinking this would give a better reading.

Any thoughts if this is a better way? Or just stick to the instructions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    It's unnecessary. The pressure will be the same because they're all connected to together. Here's the science from Wikipedia:
    Pascal's principle is defined as

A change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid at rest is transmitted undiminished to all points in the fluid.

Pressure exerted on a fluid in an enclosed container is transmitted equally and undiminished to all parts of the container and acts at right angle to the enclosing walls.

Alternate definition: The pressure applied to any part of the enclosed liquid will be transmitted equally in all directions through the liquid.

4. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    The instructions will also say to check on flat level ground so each bag is extended the same amount.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    No need, why have all those extra connections, with each one a ‘risk’? Within a few seconds all the air bags are equal anyway.

Bean Jr. and LoneRanger Thank this.
  6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

I’m not familiar with air suspensions and I learn as I go. I was thinking the same but since I don’t know how the valves operate or if each airbag is isolated in the system or not, that is why I was thinking about equalizing the system.

I appreciate the feedback and information.

7. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    I learn as I go too. That's what we're all here for!

Magoo1968, Bean Jr. and LoneRanger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.