Air tank pressures unbalanced and Parking break question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bert101, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Bert101

Bert101 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Iv had my class b license less than a year and I was asked to drive a different truck today then I normally run. During the air brake test on this different truck testing the low pressure warning and if the emergency brake pops between 20-40 psi I noticed the pressures between tank 1 and 2 are different one tank runs 15-20+ pounds lower than the other tank and the emergency break does not pop until one tank is well below 20 pounds and the other is at 20 or just below 20 pounds. Because of my inexperience and not being able to find anything specifying uneven pressures in the tanks I declined driving the truck. Was I wrong in doing so? If so where in the fmcsa handbook does it specify these rules for uneven pressures?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You were wrong, they build pressure unevenly. Tanks are filling. Did it build pressure and hold? I bet it did. My truck is the same, even with a blown air compressor.

4. Bert101

Bert101 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2018
    It built pressure fine but when fanning the brakes to test low pressure warning and emergency brake it was uneven.

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    That is normal. At least on every truck I have owned in the past 30 years, 7 in total, maybe 8, I forget. If I am wrong, I guess I have owned some messed up trucks. I am not a mechanic or certified to adjust my own brakes, but I have the tools to do it and have. And I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. ;-)

6. Bert101

Bert101 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2018
    So with one tank being below 20 psi and the other at 20 if the emergency brake still pops that is a pass?

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Read the book, hell I don't know. If you are below 20 psi on the brakes they are useless. I don't get anal on this stuff, and am not a mechanic or a DOT cop. I know when my brakes are not working, and have done some wild stuff with no brakes and broken airlines.

Right now, replacing my blown air compressor, she was fine if you just read the gauges, but I knew my brake system was not right as there were other signs. You are getting into the weeds here, you need to speak with a mechanic that knows the technical side of things. What you are experiencing here is quite normal in my book. As long as it loads air in what, one minute or there about from the buzzer going off you are good.

Not knocking your question, it is valid. Just kind of annoyed that you turned down that perfectly working truck to do your job. I have had drivers, and you brought back memories. LOL! ;-)

8. Bert101

Bert101 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2018
    LOL fair enough I knew I would catch flack over it depending who I asked since this seems to be a grey area. I cant find any documentation on it and want to know the answer for future reference. I did not decline to do my job I declined to drive a truck that to my knowledge failed. They had the regular driver of that truck who apparently has bigger stones than I do take it and I completed his work. The truck I normally drive the air tanks run even pressure and the brake pops between 30-35 so when this truck ran one tank darn near empty and the other tank to 20 it was a red flag for me.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    IF the truck fails the alarm requirement at 60 psi or lower do not drive it. It should kick in that protection valve for the tractor. I don't know the equivalent for a class B straight truck, but the result should still be the same when those yellow and red buttons pop. Your spring brakes then take over and apply.

Ive done some driving with trucks that were not that good with airpressure and have experienced losses that really should have put that tractor (And did...) into the shop in actual trucking. I recall one situation coming off 695 onto 83 south (Jones Falls Expway baltimore) ramp the air gauge would bleed from everything 120 on down to 40 or so as I slowed the rig for the ramp speed.

The problem was traced to the rubber shield between the service side and the spring side in the braking chamber having corroded and eaten through due to no air dryer on that tractor. Thus no draining of tanks each night leads to bad things that got into those brakes and started eating through. All of that was fixed soon enough.

Another time I had a tractor that failed the compressor when it broke during dinner at Doswell. Came back to a 18 wheeler that aint going no where with no air either. The resulting situation was then a really seriously epic story told elsewhere in my postings. It's better she died at dinner rather than 70 mph on 95 in middle of DC during rush.

You are doing what I think you are supposed to do prior to driving a truck. Keep it up. Usually when it breaks it will tell you then. Not out on the road hopefully.

Bert101 Thanks this.
  10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Alarm should kick on by 60, trailer should exhaust shortly after that. Yellow button might not pop out until 20 psi left in most of the trucks I have driven. The difference in tanks isn’t so much important as the pressure loss when doing a pressure drop test with full brakes application for one minute, then it’s 2 psi and 3 psi if I am not mistaken.

I would have applied 90 psi to the truck and trailer and checked the stroke all the way around, and also see the pressure loss over a minute. Then you would know if it was satisfactory. Most DOT only want to hear the buzzer, see the warning lights, and hear the trailer pop off under 60 psi.

Justrucking2 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.