airbags on big trucks

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by ParkRanger, Apr 15, 2014.

1. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I drive a Volvo that has airbags and had a near miss headon today. While I was laying on my horn (mounted on the center on my steering wheel) I later wondered if I actually crashed and the airbag deployed (also mounted on the center of my steering wheel) would injure me. Anyone with experience in this?Anyone with experiences of big truck airbag deployments?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I never had that problem.But anyway glad you're alright.

4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I'll second that.

5. Newtothis25

Newtothis25 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The airbag will injure you but its there to save your life..a bruise or maybe a broken bone is better then being dead...glad you were alright though and nothing happened

Big Don and Puppage Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Ive seen people with injuries from airbags in cars, usually a broken nose, I remember one episode of ER was a bad accident, older man on a stretcher kept complaining of chest pain but wasnt exhibiting any of the heart attack symptoms. After 10-15 minutes in the show, they finally examined his chest to find a car cigarette lighter embedded into his chest from the airbag that had deployed.

in the end, glad your still walking, and talking. How did this near miss happen?

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Particularly with you hand on the horn. It will put your hand into your face, rapidly. Remember that time in high school when you goosed the blonde? Sort of like that, only much more so. And if you have a cigar in your mouth, it will sort of destroy it.

But it still beats massive head and chest injuries!

8. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I'm not sold on the concept of airbags in trucks, for one reason only. It is very possible to have a collision with enough force to deploy an airbag, and still be carrying enough speed that the vehicle still needs to be controlled if the driver still has the physical and mental capacity to do so.

Case in point: safely stopping the rig after hitting a large animal, something like a cow, moose or similar. Or, slipping on black ice, bashing the jersey barrier, and still having the ability and wits to get the rig clear of oncoming traffic (like the driver who did exactly that in front of me in the Delaware Water Gap a few months back).

An airbag sucker punching me in the face and screening my vision is not going to be helpful, in a great many cases. Think I'd like one or more around in the event of a rollover, though.

9. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    People aren't injured by airbags, they are injured when they have their hands in improper positions, (The new driving position is 9 and 3, not 10 and 2.)

Also, people who drive with their pets on their laps will be in for a rude awakening when the airbag deploys and slams Fluffy into their chest. Anther dangerous thing people do is passengers put their feet on the dash, guess where your knees are going to go when that airbag deploys at 200 mph?

10. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Oh yeah? Someone should tell my mother that since she had gotten a broken nose from her airbag that deployed on her when a truck clipped her front end when he tried to pass her. Hands are always 10 & 2, her pets are always too big to sit in her lap, and shes never put her feet on the dash.

11. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I was traveling on a 5 lane road. 2 north, 2 south, center turn lane. Slight right curve for me. It appeared the other driver wanted to turn left but decided to stop after moving into my lane when he saw 4wheelers in the right (to me) lane. Thank God he backed up.

As as far keeping your hands at 10/4 or whatever, where do I keep them when sounding my horn? I wish I had to hold the center of the wheel to sound the air horn. This is also where the airbag deploys.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.