Alan ritchey Amazon doubles

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by canviskiller, Dec 2, 2016.

1. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Hey guys me and my girlfriend have been offered a spot out of justin tx to pull doubles for alan ritchey. It's a set route from haslet,Tx to aurora,CO about 750 miles one way and it pays .28cpm to each driver averaging about $400 a round trip.

I was told it's pretty much a out and back with a 24-48 hour time off in between loads and sometimes a couple hour wait at the Amazon DC! The ONLY thing they pay is mileage I believe which is crap but me and my partner have never pulled doubles and she is a little low on exp (10 months)

I figure we do this for a few months then apply at a bigger LTL company like Estes or ODFL but does anyone know anything about Alan ritchey?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I don't know anything about that trucking company, but it sounds like a good gig for a rookie. She'll get some mountain driving, (not a lot, but there's still Raton Pass and Monument Hill,) and some snow driving. I agree about the 28 cents a mile not being much, but if you are BOTH paid 28cpm for all miles the truck moves, then it isn't too bad. Frankly, the schedule, (If indeed it is as they have told you,) sounds like a fantastic one, to me.

canviskiller Thanks this.
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Normally won't even run Raton, just 287 up to 70 is the best route imo.
    56cpm split isn't a bad deal for a new team, especially when you can get by the house to pu groceries and relax a few times a week. I personally would love to just cook at home and eat leftovers every day that I'm gone.
    As I mentioned before Alan Ritchey is a small local carrier, chances of another DFW driver that has driven for them and is on this site is pretty low. Try it out, post the experience on here, and you might even land some recruitment bonuses if people like what they have to offer.
    Also getting this experience running doubles will make it much easier to sign on with an LTL carrier in the future. Doubles track well, I used to pull them on the Grand Prairie to Denver route delivering tires. Good number of nice rest areas along the way, and an assortment of truck stops.

5. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    As for the mileage, there is something to be said about a consistent route. At least with this setup, when you are waiting for a load it's at the house. Rather than truck stop parking lot covered with piss bottles and trash.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    750 miles each way? I'm not familiar with that route but that's a tall order for an 11 hour shift. I run out of Newark to Elkhart, IN sometimes and it's bumping right up against 11 hours at around 700 miles and that's running light and fast ~70 mph more or less the whole way. How fast do you plan on dragging that trailer set? :confused:

Pay ain't bad though if you can do that a couple times a week. Say 3,000 paid miles x $.56 = $1680.

7. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    *snipped*

Don't know anything about Alan Ritchey, but it sounds to me like a decent gig if you're looking to gain some experience and move on. Estes and ODFL would both be good choices, and they do love to get new teams. I don't know Estes' pay scale, but OD starts their teams at .60 cpm maybe a little higher since their last increase. That's per driver, not split. Something to think about if LTL is the way you want to go.

8. canviskiller

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Main thing that weirdes me out is they essentially just pay the mileage And that's it...no breakdown pay,detention etc.

I'll give a review after next week! We start Monday

9. Joe Dan

Joe Dan Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Denton Texas
    Go to Des Moines N.M. And on west side of town take road north to 160 and then head to Trinidad when Raton closed or go straight north out of Dumas through Boise City and look for Road W and go west to Kim Colorado and then into Trinidad or up toward La Junta .

speedyk Thanks this.
  10. canviskiller

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Ended up not taking the job offer. Was told by the recruiter we would be split up for a week for training...got to the job and was told I'd be put with a previous driver until they hired him a partner and when I questioned how long that would be I was told "indefinitely if need be"

Was also never told anything about the pay because the guy that does that "stuff" was off...denied the job offer and walked out.

They also just couldn't emphasize enough how "chaotic Amazon is" and how much waiting we would he doing they also rarely pull doubles and mainly pull 53fters to Colorado

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Big Don Thanks this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Sounds like a seasonal overflow job. Amazon goes crazy this time of the year and they need every truck they can get.
    Check back after Christmas and see if the company is still hiring. My bet would be no.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.