Alberta Gravel Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by lholds, Jun 11, 2017.

1. lholds

lholds Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I just joined the forum and have been looking for advice from Gravel Truck drivers in Alberta, just wondering if there any on this forum? My experience has been farming/ranching and had our own trucks, liners and Super B trailers, sold the farm and am now thinking about buying a gravel truck. I want to be home every day and thought this may be a good alternative. So I have questions and was hoping this was a possible venue. Thanks in advance...
    Larry

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There was decent money in it a few years ago in Ft. Mac. Nowadays, no idea. I do see a lot of cobbled together junk running around that town nowadays though.

4. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Hit and miss business. Lotsa competition will be the Hindus. They run the rates pretty low. Low enough that if they blow a tire it'll take a couple days to recoup.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Too bad the cold winter doesn't take care of them the same as it takes care of all the bugs
    Big fire didn't even work lol

Cat sdp, bzinger, orcen and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well all the local's rigs went up. Had to bring in the out of town trucks.

Seen one work for an entire day with a flat inner dual on the truck. Your comment isn't too far off.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. lholds

lholds Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Gents ,thanks for taking the time to reply, I was hoping that with all the construction work here in Calgary, new ring road etc that there may be work for one more truck ... LOL. I have a friend that works for the city and he mentioned that they do hire gravel haulers at about $80/hr. Does that seem right you?

8. belowspeedlimit

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    $80 is terrible.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. lholds

lholds Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Oh Ok, so what would be more inline, anyone know what the rates here in Calgary would be for Tandem Axle no pup?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  10. belowspeedlimit

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Subtract all your expenses from $880. Say your doing 11 hr days. What's left for the truck and your wage?

11. lholds

lholds Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Yup I get it, maybe $80/hr is lean, obviously more is better. But I was hoping somebody could give me an idea of what rate their getting here right now in Calgary area. Just looking for feedback to help me decide if I want to haul gravel or go back to hauling grain and cattle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.