Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. peted

peted Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2012
    pe
    Awesome post, lots of very useful information..
    I got a call from Sanjel this week, so i'm hoping for some sort of offer this week, i just wanted to know how your getting on, are you still liking it..???
    pm me pls

Canadian-ay Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bobbyt

bobbyt Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Edmonton ab.
    Onetrack, those wages seem a little high for someone that has no experiance, have you started with them yet, if so were they accurate. All the more power to you if they are right. Good luck.

4. BoomTruckin

BoomTruckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Devon, Alberta
    Also very interested to know. Friend reports to Sanjel May 8 to start training, and I myself am also trying to get work with them.

5. Onetrack

Onetrack Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Red Deer, AB
    Hey everyone, it will take me some time to go back through the last 15 pages or so but I thought i'd catch you up on the last 4 months, since you all seem to be mentioning my post still.

I started with Sanjel on January 11/2012, that was my official hire date. I had to run my family back to Kamloops and get a more recent drivers abstract as mine had expired. They got a local place in Kamloops to do my D&A test as it was a condition of being hired, you fail, no job.

I came up to Edson after passing, since I was a class 1 they put me in the Nova Lodge for 5 nights, all paid. I had to fill out some paperwork and watch a couple old videos.. I think ' don't tease the tiger ' is from the early 70's or something, it was really really dated.

I did WHMIS and a couple other little online courses, they gave me the weekend to cruise around and find a place, there is little to nothing for rentals here although there is plenty to buy and its reasonable. I drove to Calgary on Sunday, since I was using my own truck they paid me .56c/km (its an 1100km round trip)

Got to Calgary, its their training center - was put up at the Glenmore Inn for 2 weeks and did a pile of courses. We started with 38 people, ended with 34 - 2 guys left, 2 got kicked out for fighting.. the ' your momma ' jokes got a bit deep but it was a great group of guys. The Glenmore is really nice - meals are all paid and you eat very well. The waitresses are fine as well ;) You are not always there - we went to the fabrication facility / main Sanjel base Propark, also to Fleet Services, Global and a few other stops. All in all I left there with these Certs.

Red Cross CPR-C, H2S Alive, Confined Spaces, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS), FSI Mentally Active Driver Program, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG), Hours of Service, Fatigue Management, General Oilfield Driver Improvement (GODI), IRP 12 Hand Signals, IRP 16 Oil and Gas Injury Prevention, IRP 18 Oil and Gas Firefighter, Rollover Prevention, Load Securement, Forklift Operation, Working with Nuclear Gauges and others.. (some of these were done in the red deer campus where driver evaluations and n2 is)

oh I got a 1500.00 hiring bonus as well, split 350.00 for the first 4 paycheques, just so you stay.

went onto my days off, after returned to Edson for my 2 weeks. Wasn't allowed to drive yet, spent a week, got to work right away - was easy stuff - running a Bulker carrying dry bulk cement to lease sites - got in 4 jobs the first week and then went to Red Deer for more evaluation / training - scored a high yellow ( i think everyone does ) which meant I can drive any sanjel vehicle solo in convoy onlv. Went on days off again.. got to see the family lots - went back for my first 2 week stretch, got in 10 jobs, the bonus's were averaging about 200 each with expenses paid (20.00 if your away from camp for 4 hours, grows the longer you're away) What impressed me about the company was safety safety safety. Its their mantra.. still didn't do any driving the first full 2 week stretch, but since i was a class 1 I was being paid as a driver and getting driver bonus.. fine by me.. onto days off again, back for another stretch, started driving.. first empty, highway only and then i'd switch when the mentor was on lease roads, once he was comefortable with my ability to drive i drove all the time, he just corrected my errors, helped me with shifting, gave lots of advice on the different terrain, etc.

a couple weeks back my wife came up to edson, i've rented out my house in kamloops - she didn't like the place much but I've made 22k or so since i've been here. I requested a transfer to Frac in Red Deer and it was done, they spent probably a good 20k just training me, so they don't want to lose me.. Trican in hinton is trying to poach me now but I really like the way Sanjel does things. Red Deer will be a good move, so I'll be heading there on the 9th when my rotation here is complete. It'll be great to get the family back together again.

I'm heading there to run a sand can, same as the bulker unit here except there is no cyclone on it.. it was cake easy to run anyways, theres only 5 valves. :D

Attached a pic of my Tractor trailer.. from my very first solo run. :D

Any q's?

BTW Trican in Hinton is looking for about 50 guys, you should email dhansen@trican.ca (Darren Hansen) - he's in Kamloops right now running a job fair, here is the link for it. From what I hear they had a pretty big shake up, but they're really looking for people

Kamloops Job Fair

Attached Files:

Canadian-ay and oilfield Thank this.
  6. Onetrack

Oct 10, 2011
    Red Deer, AB
    You're car hauling now Nate? thats awesome to do in the downtime.. I think that'd be a blast.

:D its pretty nice having a break, but its projected we've got 40% more work over last year, once june hits its going to be hella busy.

7. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Hey Onetrack, really good to readyour update. I'm very g;ad for you. By the way, if I ever had to move out of Edmonton, Red Deer would be my 1st choice.

8. bobbyt

Jan 29, 2009
    Edmonton ab.
    Glad things are working out for you. Was just at the red deer shop last week for courses and talked to lots of guys and never heard of any kind of shakeup. Had about 300 guys at the safety meeting.

9. Onetrack

Oct 10, 2011
    Red Deer, AB
    For Trican?

There are several rumors.. but who knows if they're true or not.. I've seen Trican trucks on the move through Edson on several occasions. One thing I'll say about them is their units are immaculate.

10. TheYoungBuck

TheYoungBuck Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Lacombe, AB
    From what I see on the roads, trican has the nicest iron. Canyon and sanjel would be a close tie for 2nd, then slb and baker.

11. bobbyt

Jan 29, 2009
    Edmonton ab.
    Yes I work for Trican. Thanks for the compliment on the equipment. It's company policy to wash the trucks after every job and you don't want to be on the recieving end if you don't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.