Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Boom ticket generally means nothing in the patch unless it's the wellhead boom ticket. I'm not sure why that is so, but I know more than 1 certified operator who found he couldn't use his skill in the patch

Canadian trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamesg

jamesg Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Vernon, BC
    Plus the whole interprovincial thing, I tried to transfer my BC Cranesafe level A stiff boom to equivalency for wellhead boom and they said nope, what I have is good for my job an they are trying to revamp the entire thing anyway...

4. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
  5. Jesse James

Jesse James Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Howdy all.

Been reading along this forum gleaning lots of great advice. was thinking of heading north in a few weeks to shake some hands and get a foot in the door.
    I have experience hauling roll off bins, gravel and highway trailers.
    My abstract was spotless until a few months ago when i blew over in a Sunday morning road block.
    Got a 90 day driving prohibition, is that gonna be a deal breaker to employment for a guy with no oil field experience?

6. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Welcome to the forum 'outlaw' - mind the pun. Better be truthful up front right off the bat with everyone you apply to, and apply for work as a swamper first. Re-build your reputation professionally, then let them ask you if you want to drive. JMHO

7. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    I can't say whether it's a show stopper or not, but you have nothing to lose. It might help if it was less than 0.08

8. BoomTruckin

BoomTruckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Devon, Alberta
    Your 0-8 ton boom certificate that you would get in Ontario is equivalent to a light duty picker training ticket out here, though it's not transferable in Alberta. It's not an actual boom truck licence or picker ticket that they call it out here in Alberta.

The 8-15 ton licence is transferable into a picker licence but in Alberta it's 45 ton and under.

The 15-unlimited ton licence in Ontario is a red seal trade. Red seal meaning it's good Canada wide.

Wellhead boom truck ticket is only good for operators who work on well isolation or pipe and equipment being mated to a well. Outside of that your not legal.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

9. Brian_DM

Brian_DM Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2014
    I just got my AZ in May. With no experience I understand it is difficult trying to get employment. I am really hoping to get a job in the oilfields. I have applied to numerous companies but not a word back and I have been told that I really need to get out to Alberta and apply in person, that I would probably find work within a few days.
    I have very limited resources and would have to bus it out to Alberta from Ontario. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to where I should go.
    Not married and my son is married living in another city, so leaving family is not an issue. I have been reading though that some of these jobs are labour intensive. My head could handle working out there, but I'm wondering if my body could. I'm 59. I am in good shape though, very little body fat and I work out and ride my bike everywhere I go. I'm beginning to think that both inexperience and age is being a real detriment to finding a job.
    Would it be worth my while to bus it out to Alberta and apply? And if it would be, where do I go?

10. Sarabeara

Sarabeara Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Hello Brian.
    If I were to pick a place, it would be Lloydminster as opposed to Edmonton. It has A LOT of different facets of oilfield work/trucking.
    I know right now, Sanjel is hiring - but, that can be a tough job as a lot of the stuff is "on call", but it would give you that foot in the door
    and earning an income.
    Housing will be an issue - and its generally not cheap. Husky Logistics, Trican, Sanjel, Gibson Energy, Plains Midstream, Sandpiper, Boomers, Scorpion,
    Flint Energy, Hurricane, Heavy Crude - but I wouldnt work out of Lloyd, Fortune, Driven Energy,Mikes Oilfield. There's a lot of choice.
    I wish you the best.

11. northboundhound

northboundhound Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Fort St John, BC
    GP is absolutely booming.
    But rent and cost of living is pricey. Some of the terrain south west and northing working in BC gets interesting.
    Worth a try though.
    Time to get hired is approaching as crews and operations ramp up into late fall/winter.

One important thing - you have a Class 1 and intent. You offer a lot more than many of the randoms wandering into hiring offices across the patch.
    For that, sir, you have my respect. Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.