Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. lugnutluke

lugnutluke Light Load Member

May 18, 2012
    Grande Prairie, Ab
    you mean job security. and i'll keep that in mind!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ianthesims

Ianthesims Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Here's a question to anybody still reading/posting. Do mechanics make good money in the sands? Comparable to drivers? I'm getting tired of driving out of Ontario, was thinking moving to the shop an easy transition. See lots of ads for heavy equipment mechanics in Alberta, are they more valuable than Truck mechanics? I would think mechanics should never get laid off. Could be wrong though

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Ask @NorthernMechanic

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. Pinner

Pinner Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2010
    B.C.
    How long have you been a mechanic and what experience do you have working on what ?

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Heavy duty seems to be the prefered trade since the bulk of the work up here is off highway stuff. Layoffs do happen though. Usually its the complainers, the lazy ones and the pot-stirrers that get the walking papers. Might be hard to find a place to stay though. We have a bit of a housing shortage right now because of the fire. I don't really want to bring up the pay on an open forum but I will say you likely won't be disappointed in it. You can PM me if you want to know more about wrenching in Fort Mac.

7. Ianthesims

Ianthesims Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Experience? Ford pickups, small engines. No hours toward a ticket, but getting real sick of driving. And New York City. Figured I'd start on a ticket here in Ontario, maybe oil would look better by the time I've got a ticket. There's a lot more trucking companies here than heavy equipment, but that may be the way to go.
    But ok. Will PM more questions your way! Thanks for helping!

8. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    theres more drivers available than mechanics.

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    One thing that Ontario does with their trade certification that I don't agree with is they'll charge you a yearly fee to renew it, which is BS IMO. An Alberta Journeyman Certification is good for life, no annual fees or any crap like that.

10. Longhood379

Longhood379 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Cremona AB
    How does that work with the RED seal program ?
    Can someone just get an red seal from another province and bypass the renewal.
    I am guessing you got you Journeyman Certification in B.C. ?? If so does BC separate the certificates like Alberta IE heavy duty tech off road, heavy duty tech truck & transport ??

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I did my 8 month pre-apprenticeship course in BC but moved out to Alberta after I finished it due to not being able to find work. AB gives you 4 tickets. 2 Red Seal and 2 non-Red Seal tickets.

I do know of a couple guys from Ontario who took 3rd year in AB to upgrade their Ontario Heavy Truck and Coach license, which gave them an Alberta Off Road Red Seal. AB is kind of weird in regards to their apprenticeship program. 3 years gets you either Off or On road but 4 will get you both. I have been told that other provinces don't recognize 3 year qualifications but I can't confirm that one.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Longhood379 and nate980 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.