Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Canadian-ay

Canadian-ay Bobtail Member

May 31, 2012
    Belleville, ON
    Thanks again for your help. In and around LLoyd, were you hauling water and oil` with a semi trailer or like a oversized dump truck? Reason I asked is that moving from one unit to the trailer may be a possible way of moving up from 1 unit you're familiar with to a bigger one with a trailer. I thought over my reply that I would never drive vac trucks but would if it were a short term move to later advance to the big rigs but trying to avoid cleaning inside tanks and confined spaces may be the same as a semi trailer driver refusing to busk up the trailer into a loading dock. Hit me with your best shot on that subject.

Is it better to drive out there from Bellevile where I live in the next few weeks to either Lloyd or Red Deer to see these small trucking companies or do you have some of their names?

Again, thanks for all you guys have done. Can't say it enough.
    Ted

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cariboo_kid

cariboo_kid Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Sask, Canada
    I started in a semi. I drive a Kenworth t800 towing a single 3 axle tanker trailer, similar to the ones you see hauling gas in the cities.

Personally I was twice able to find work just applying online. I'd go to kijiji and send your resume and abstract to every job that interests you. Don't be too picky about your first job, as long as it gets you out here learning the business you can switch when you have a clearer idea of what work and schedule suits you.

If online doesn't get you any response, there is no question that people do respond better to someone standing right in front of them ready to work. I just don't think I'd start with the most expensive route.

Canadian-ay Thanks this.
  4. Westcoastsailor

Westcoastsailor Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Excellent Q&A Cariboo_kid and Canadian-ay. Thanks very much.

Cariboo_kid, wannabe's like myself really appreciate the fact that you are willing to share your knowledge. Your efforts will undoubtedly save us many hours and dollars. I will follow your example and share my new knowledge when I am out there in a couple months.

Canadian-ay Thanks this.
  5. cariboo_kid

cariboo_kid Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Sask, Canada
    No problem, I was in your position not long ago and spending all my free time trying to find answers to similar questions. The quicker you get the info the sooner you can decide if you want to make the leap and start earning money many truckers only dream of.

slowokan and Canadian-ay Thank this.
  6. Westcoastsailor

May 26, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Perhaps one day soon I'll buy you a beer.........

In the meantime I hope Mulcair learns a few things during his trip to the oil sands today instead of making divisive, non productive comments.

7. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    The thing that jumped out at me was, the new driver wanting to work Mega hours and makemega bucks. As a new inexperienced driver that is a recipe for an accident best case you get fired worst case you or someoneelse gets KILLED. Any of the outfits that does oilfield cement needs bulk drivers, easy job almost always travel with a more experienced truck and still quite good money. As said before San-El Calfrac trican baker-hughs haliburton. For a new driver it's pure gold to travel in a pack and have more experienced guys looking out for you. Much less physically demanding thanvac trucks.

Prairie Boy and Canadian-ay Thank this.
  8. Westcoastsailor

May 26, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for the tip Nitrogen. I'll keep that in mind.

9. Flem37

Flem37 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Regina, SK
    I won't be able to head back out to Red Deer until early July. You guys think Sanjel and the rest will still be looking for workers then, if you had to guess?

10. BoomTruckin

BoomTruckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Devon, Alberta
    From what I'm told, they will be looking for drivers right up to the fall. Saying this season looks to be busier than last.

I head out there on Monday.

Canadian-ay Thanks this.
  11. Repair Nut

Repair Nut Bobtail Member

May 25, 2012
    Belleville, ON
    So it looks like I can't reply to messages because I'm new?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.