Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. trucker1962

trucker1962 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Calgary
    Hello,
    can you give me information in regards to working on camp jobs on oil rigs. how much do they usually pay for a new guy (no experience) is it a lot of hrs everyday and so on. any information would be appreciated. one company contacted me yesterday and today they did phone interview. I'm told in couple of days site manager will contact me for on site interview in lloydminster. I had applied for driver position. they also asked if I am willing to work up to 21 days before time off. How much salary I should say that is reasonable for truck driver/labourer for these camp jobs? (they are willing to train me). which company are you with? if you don't mind me asking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucker1962

trucker1962 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Calgary
    Hello, I been trucking since late 80's, mostly pulling Reefers and Dry Vans. Have operated Gravel Trucks in the past as well. I reside in Calgary. with no exp. in oil field work what you think? with my trucking experience? looking for work asap. even if I can be hired on for entry level position, that would be great. any advise?

4. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    yes you can definitely get work. My employer is looking for several people, not too physical,easy to learn and pays pretty decent. our shop is just up the road in Crossfield. Canadian Nitrogen Services ask for Jacque Simard.

rainyday lover and trucker1962 Thank this.
  5. ShagKing

ShagKing Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Center of the Universe
    I was planning on taking a CDL class here in the U.S. with the intention of going to North Dakota to drive a sand/water truck in the oil patches there. However, I've recently been speaking with a person about the possibilities that exist in Alberta. Initially the discussions were about working for a drilling company, but I would still like to drive a truck.
    Is it possible to drive in Canada with a U.S. CDL? I will not be making my home there in Alberta, I would like to keep my home residence in Georgia, Southeastern U.S. And before you say anything, yes I know that it get cold there. With that said, if there is the possibility that I could make a career out of working in Alberta, the wee wifey says that there's more a chance of her moving to the Edmonton area than to anywhere in North Dakota.
    Will a trucking company hire someone fresh out of school? I'm a former Marine, don't do drugs, no traffic tickets, no felonies. None of the crap that would keep me from doing something challenging. I have a passport because of my previous job and I have driven in all sorts of weather as I have had the entire eastern seaboard as part of my territory. Granted the driving was in a 1/2 ton pick-up truck with a 6x14 V-Nose trailer, but that lake effect stuff in Buffalo is quite an experience. No yelling and screaming at the boot, I know it's not the same.... I'm just sayin.

If I get my CDL here in the U.S., do I need to go to school up there as well, or can I pay a fee and retake the Canadian test for the Class 1? My school starts tomorrow and I'm just now learning about the exceptional opportunities up in the Great White North. I don't care about the hours and would actually prefer 5 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule.

Any advice you can give me would be extremely appreciated, thank you.

Mike

6. Onetrack

Onetrack Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Red Deer, AB
    I got an offer to work in northern alberta driving a rock truck with no experience. You need your HB2s ground disturbance and CPR-C tickets. it was 20.00 / hour to start in camp +OT but you could put in 60-70 I guess if you wanted.

No experience, just a class 5. They would pay for your certs if you needed them, you're on the hook for them if you don't last 3 months.

A friend of mine was up in a new camp near conklin alberta, the place was setup like a hotel, each guy getting his own room and bathroom, tv and internet in room, shared laundry / floor. It looked like the place was built from assembled 20' seacans.

So the older camps are 4 to a room dorm types, the new ones are more like hotels. If you had a decent truck and a 5th wheel you could just live in that, rent out some space to a couple guys and still get your 150.00 / day live out allowance..

7. nitrogen

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    yeah shag I don't know how that would work. its kind of like us Canucks needing a green card to work in the states. not so easy to get unless you have an employer who can prove that they cannot hire a Canadian who has the skills.

8. cruz

cruz Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    covington Ga..
    How can i get in touch with does Canadian jobs I am a experience tanker driver and frontend loader operator, I will relocate thank you:):)...

9. nitrogen

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    yup just like us moving to the USA for a trucking job, it won't work the other way across the border either. trucking is pretty much considered unskilled labor so they feel the local gene pool however shallow it may be is plenty deep enough. apply for landed immigrant status or prove that you are being persecuted where you live an we'll let you in and get you a job. or marry a canadian spouse. or just claim you are coming to visit your cousin in Fort Macmurray and then stay and go underground we prob won't ever catch on you're here, or at least our gov won't notice you never went home

10. jvar4001

jvar4001 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    wow thanks thats a good advised i heard other job that pays good is the enterntainment show business but i dont have 3 years

11. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Swan river Manitoba
    I ust to haul oil from the wells as an o/o if your a driver who likes to sit and piss around driving it's not for you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.