Alcohol anti gel

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jeffman164, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    A lot of old timers used gasoline. I’ve read warnings against it, claiming static electricity layer between diesel and gasoline causing an explosion, due to it not mixing well, I’m not saying it’s true, don’t know, don’t want to find out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you guys think is in PSP 911 fuel additive?

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Old timers would use kerosene.
    In Canada, my area anyway, most of us carried a gallon of methyl hydrate that had several uses, but anti gel wasn't one of them.

In cold weather we would dump a cup of alcohol in each tank when we fuelled to keep the fuel lines from icing up in the cold, as well as air lines.

I carried a metal tobacco can with me in case the engine got too cold to start.
    Would wrap a tarp around the the front of the truck to block wind, fill the can half full of alcohol, light it and slide it under the oil pan.
    No drama, no big flames, just a low blue flame on top of the alcohol.

I also carried a bag of self lighting briquettes and a steel shovel for the same reason.
    Put a pile of charcoal on the shovel, light them and slide the shovel under the oil pan.

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

1. The antigel additive needs mixing by fueling over it.
    2. Do not expose diesel to temperatures under 30 for many hours. Semi-gelled diesel won’t mix well with the antigel additive.
    3. Check the temperatures you will be driving through and the location(s) you will be shutting down in. Treat accordingly.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Howes is only good down to -20. You need Power Service or Lucas for down to -30 or -40.

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It all depends on where you fuel. I've used Howe's in 20 below temps. I did that last year. I dumped the whole bottle in each tank. Combine that with fuel in cold weather states, you should be ok. Keep some spare filters in your truck

Cattleman84, PE_T and Frontman Thank this.
  8. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    I have heard about the kerosene and gasoline trick . Anybody know the ratios of those? Howes gelled up on me at 16 below. Made me a non believer real fast.

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    As far as I've ever known Kerosene is just another name for #1 diesel... If that is indeed the truth You could run that straight in your truck.

Gasoline... The few times I have used it I put 5 gallons into a 150 gallon tank of diesel.

Using the isopropyl alcohol mix ratio I mentioned above I have ran in as cold as -25°F and done cold starts as cold as -20°F. Never gave me a bit of problems.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have never gelled in proper winter conditions up north PROVIDED I fueled locally in the difficult conditions of cold etc.

I rely on the engine's dual fuel returns that returns hot fuel to both tanks to keep them toasty no matter how cold it got outside.

Generally in anything below -25 I idle the hell out of the engine. 1600 RPM setpoint OR keep trucking until I get out of the really dangerous cold regions. (Paper logs will just have to wait it will be a while before we get out)

One thing I don't do is if I fueled in say ... Jackson MS and it's only 35 here going to Seattle I will wait until the tanks are nearly empty before I make my first true fillup of winter fuel anywhere above Omaha NE. Usually near Souix City before the run west to Seattle. Again, I am not familiar with what is treating what fuels I buy where as long as said fuel does not gel in anything below say -30 all the way down to -58 or so. My company (Dowdy and FFE has specifically told me not to use a winterfront for a variety of reasons. but turn up the idle at least 1200 setpoint when it's really cold.)

I remember one incident in Minnesota near Mall of America during a blizzard conditions we were having some trouble with the truck where we were. It was decided we could not stay there anymore so we had to relocate to a major truckstop or company designated shop dealer etc to have the rig looked at.

Keep in mind this was back in 2000 winter. There was no emissions to speak of, none of that DPF or ELD BS etc. in those days. The air intake filters were replaced after that incident and the new set really helped the engine breathe way better and produce power even though it was cold. Then they dispatched us south towards Shreveport where it's about 80 and sunny still. From there we were sent to Phoenix where we generally loaded out of the border (Nogales etc) and went to places like Atlanta etc. So for a few months there was awful lot of louisanas teaching us how to eat and enjoy Cajun food. Turned out my ex who was with me as a team driver could not get enough of that stuff. I could do a little seafood from being out of the Bay in the east, but the Gulf people knew how to cook and eat very well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.