All good things must come to an end

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Diantane, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    Started driving a tractor trailer the day after I was honorably discharged from the US Navy (four years) on April 18, 1977 (over 44 years ago) and going into retirement next Friday, July 23, 2021. Today I type this on a 2021 iPad Pro. Before it may have been on a typewriter and posted on as bulletin board at a truck stop’s diner.

My first tractor was a 1962 conventional Mack. The “sleeper” was just an 20 inch wide, retro fit bunk. Didn’t know how to drive it as there were no schools. Went down to the DMV and took a ten question test that was really stupid (they didn’t know what to ask). Like: True or False, “Since you will be driving the largest vehicle on the road, do you have the right of way over everyone else?” AND “Do you have to follow the same rules and regulations as the people that drive cars?” After passing this simple test, I had to pay $16.00 for a two year Class A Chauffeurs License. Showed this to my new boss and he pointed to the Mack with a 12 foot wide, 65 foot long mobile home attached to it. I walked over to it and waited for them to come and train me, but they never came. Told them that I didn’t know how to drive a truck and certainly not able to pull this huge load. Asked if I could start with a travel trailer. His answer was, “You’ll be fine. Here’s the directions for the delivery. Good luck!” Then he walked away.

Now I knew how to shift a manual transmission like in my car, but this was very different. It wouldn’t go into gear the same way. Another driver said I had to double clutch and he explained it in 20 seconds and left. My destination was only 30 miles away, but it took me 3.5 hours to get there. Just couldn’t figure out the shifting and stalled out many times. When I got back I asked another driver to help me. He gave up quickly and then another driver tried. He said that I was untrainable. Finally a third driver gave it a shot, but before we started moving he told me that it depends on what the rpm of the engine and the speed of the truck is to what gear you should be in. I remember shouting, “You mean there’s a science to this? I thought you just put the sticks in what ever gear would fit”. At one time he told me what gear it should be in an`d it just slid `right in perfectly! A year later I was training new drivers. Even those that never used a manual transmission. Taught over 900 drivers over the next several years. Some for other companies. In 2010 we started using automated transmissions. There wEre pretty bad back then, but are amazing today.

Well maybe we’ll chat later. Next week I’ll be driving a rocking chair watching the grass grow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Thats a good story sir ! Happy retirement !!!

4. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Great Story. That was the way it was. Amazing how simple it was. It was not unusual for a driver to Ask another driver to put a trailer in the dock

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  5. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    These days I’ll often be talking with a new driver. Sometimes they would complain about their tractor. I would ask them, “Do you have power steering?” They would say yes. “Do you have air conditioning?” (Yes). “I wouldn’t complain. It took me 4 tractors to get power steering and 15 years to get air conditioning. All we had was a fan that blew hot air at us all day.” You could cook an egg on the metal doghouse (engine cover). I demonstrated this one morning.

Today the highways are full of trucks. In the 70’s and 80’s you would have to drive 10 to 15 miles to see another truck. Truck stops were mostly mom and pop with 20 to 25 parking spaces, but only 3-4 were filled every night. Rest areas were ghost towns at night. The parking lots were dark for cars and trucks. Just a single light up by the rest rooms. This is why people stayed away from them at night.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Team818, Kyle G., Jenn72 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Cool story bro

Team818 and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Great stories. They bring back a lot of memories. I grew up around trucks and started riding with my Dad around 1975. I didn’t start driving until ‘88. My first driving job was a quick conversation a handshake and here’s the keys and there’s the truck now get going! Of course it was a straight truck and watching my Dad shift and moving trucks in a yard or parking lot was my only experience besides sitting on the dogbox steering down the road. It’s definitely a different world nowadays!!

Happy retirement!!! I know we’re going to miss a Professional out here. Hopefully whoever tries to fill your shoes will have someone to help them be a good driver.

Team818 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Chauffeurs License; that's how I started. Good old Navy days; best memories of my whole life. You triggered my best memories and thank you for that.
    ~
    My favorite port:
    [​IMG].[​IMG] upload_2021-7-15_22-5-21.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    austinmike and BigBob410 Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Just love retirement stories, as my name implies,, younguns plowing into stopped cars, not so much. Our "1st driving job" always involves some kind of "seat of the pants" adventures. Times were so different, you simply can't have those kinds of experiences today. Just as well, it wasn't a particularly fun time. I do feel a wealthy soul( thanks Bob Seeger) because of those experiences. You didn't use common sense, you didn't make it. We all felt a kindred spirit amongst ourselves, that we were actually smart enough to BE a truck drivers then. Just not required today, thanks mostly to us. Bigger motors, better brakes, tubeless tires, air ride, A/C, speed controls, and yes, power steering. Probably the single most important device that revolutionized trucking. It opened up the driver pool, that's right, including ladies, much like the automatic transmission of today.
    4 years into retirement, I can formulate an opinion, it's not what you make, it's what you spend, and watching the grass grow gets incredibly boring, find a hobby, if you can still afford it, and relax. My biggest gripe in retirement, is what a ripoff the healthcare system is for old folks. Let's bilk them of all their money before they die,,mentality. It will take 4 new drivers to replace you, my friend and they simply aren't taking the job. The good thing is, we probably won't be around when the whole works DOES go down the crapper. Came pretty close last year. Good luck, pal. Retiring from driving doesn't mean retiring from this site. It's actually fun to see how low trucking will go.

Kyle G. and BigBob410 Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    VA can help out on healthcare issues.
    Friend of mine did 4 years in the Air Force and got out. No health issues at all and still healthy.
    He's never used anything but the VA his whole post-Air Force life. He said when a person gets out of the Air Force they also get the VA Medical Card.
    Don't know why the Navy and other branches don't do that.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.