Almost a full 7 days in one spot. And not at home, either...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Spokester, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They don't do it because it doesn't always work, I keep a key on me all the time, and always check for it before closing the door, I had to break into my old Columbia enough that I could do it in my sleep, but the newer trucks aren't so easy. Even the newer Columbia was almost impossible

I loaned a driver my Knipex pliers and went with him, he got right in by turning the latch to the vent window, but Cascadias don't have vent windows, they also don't have the little lower window.

Getting loaded on Friday from a load board is difficult, hope they got you something, they probably had to be sure of the truck being empty before booking something.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justawheelholderfornow

justawheelholderfornow Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    The Bank
    uhhhh...yes, they ARE teaching you a lesson by letting you sit. There is NOWHERE in the country that they don't have something after a day or two...I drove 380 miles deadhead before with May. They say there is no 'blacklist' but anyone who has been there a while, or makes a mistake or two knows better...
    Internationals use a Dodge key blank, Petes a GM key blank. And FLs use a Toyota key blank I believe...all can be made for less than $2 at any WalMart
    There is no excuse to ever lock yourself out, and I always had 3-4 spares at any one time.

4. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I had auto club make me a credit card key so a spare key is always in my wallet.

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Locking yourself out of a truck has to be the most embarrassing thing that can happen to a driver. Trust me, I know! I've locked myself out of almost every truck I've driven, and every car I've owned. Heck, I have a revolving account with the local locksmith! I should put the guy on retainer, I should.

For example, there was the time I actually managed to lock myself out of an older Pete. Now, some guys here will say that its impossible, but my experience laughs at their knowledge. I had just been assigned the truck, gotten my go home load, and was rolling. Well wouldn't you know that ol' hag Mother Nature called me? And we all know you can't just let the old answering machine pick up when its Mother Nature, no you can't. Lucky for me, a pickle park had just showed up at the side of the road (convenient, ain't it?). Now, I roll with the doors locked at all times (unless I'm crossing a bridge, I swim better than any truck built). And sometimes when you open a locked door on an older Pete the door will open without fully disengaging the locking mechanism. So when the door closes, its locked.

Now I myself had bought into the whole "Petes never lock unless you lock them for the outside" story. So when I hit the pickle park (it was a glancing blow, hardly any damage but there was pickle juice everywhere) I set the tractor brakes and bailed right out without grabbing the key out of the igition. Rushed inside, offloaded some unnecessary coffee weight, cleaned up, and finally wandered outside to get back to work. I grabbed the door handle (the sexual harassment suit is still working its way through the legal system, but its looking like the judgement will fall for the door handle. Remenber to be nice to your door handles guys and gals. Buy'em dinner every now and then. Some flowers apparently don't hurt either) and the darned door was locked! And it absolutely refused to open, now matter how I sweet talked it! Guess I'm not as smooth or as charming as I thought I was (and I always used a clean, new club when I wooed a new lady, too).

Once the sweet talking had descended through swearing to screaming and beating on the door, I finally took a walk. I was looking for that most indispensable tool we have all used at one point in time or another...the famous wire coat hanger! Never doubt the usefulness of a good coat hanger, it should be required equipment on every vehicle on the road today. Failure to produce a wire coat hanger should be grounds for public whipping. Fortunately, I found another driver who understood the importance of carrying a wire coat hanger (I had one myself, but wouldn't you know it was locked in my truck?!? I think my coat hanger was in collusion with my truck to provide maximum embarrassment value).

Twenty minutes of futile poking around inside the door of my truck, trying to find the right angle to release the locking mechanism (and developing a new language to swear in, as English, Klingon, and Arab had all failed to express my rage at this point), I finally found the magic spot to punch on my door to "pop" the lock. All told, lost about two and a half hours due to a lack of spare keys. And yet, I have made the same mistake time and again on later trucks because I'm far too lazy to go to the local hardware store to get spare keys made. And even if I do, I wind up losing the bloody spares.

After all, I once lost three sets of keys to the same car in the course of one week.

6. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    My house and personal car keys are always on a key chain in my pocket, and should pretty much be for anyone else. I have never trucked without a spare key on THAT key chain. It's so easy (especially with power locks) to lock yourself out of a vehicle. Carrying the spare key with you at all times is just good insurance against an embarrassing, and potentially costly, situation.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    My dog locked me out of the trk once thanks to power locks.I'm in the trk wash going in and using their phone to get a po number from, my company for the wash.I come back and it was locked.Thank god they was'nt busy.Sat their for 2 hrs then thanks to a nice trans am driver he got the door opened by removing that bottom window on the passenger side .

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I would say locking yourself out of your trk then sitting for a week because Walmart would'nt make an exception unloading you was your punishment from your company.You learn from your mistakes.I sure have after my dog locked me out.

9. MBunt387

MBunt387 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Your Moms house
    Yeah my dog locked me out last week in Ontario Oregon. Not fun

10. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    sorry

i cant see any justification for May or WalMart letting a truck sit for a week

mistake or not, we are still a business and you get over obstacles, we are not children that have to be put on time-out

i would have left the truck there, came back on my delivery date, rent-a-car and drive home

11. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Wal mart doesn't care if a truck sits a week. Maybe wal mart was booked up for loads for the whole week and that was the first avail slot. If it was me I would of been calling every hr asking if someone didn't make it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.