Almost a full 7 days in one spot. And not at home, either...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Spokester, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    I highly doubt may or Wal-Mart wanted to wait that long. Use common sense

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    PARTICULARLY if it was a reefer load as he claimed.

4. rodmichael0173

rodmichael0173 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2012
    chicago, il.
    sounds like he just bashing the company over his mistake. dude get over it!!! you going into the wrong business to be complaing over stuff that is your fault. but we all make mistakes. just not that stupid of a mistake !!! hahaha cheer up its 2012 and you got a JOB!! alot of ppl out there cant say that...

5. Spokester

Spokester Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    I'm not complaining over stuff that is my fault, I'm pissed at WalMart for being complete uncaring jerks. I just can't believe that there was no way they couldn't squeeze me in over the course of 6 DAYS!!!! Letting a reefer sit there and burn $1,000 in fuel is just obscene. Any other receiver would have had me on a work in, and got me unloaded as soon as they could. Yeah, I have a job that's averaging me about $4/hr or less... I know I have to put my time in to get the better pay and home time. But as of now, I've barely made enough to justify weeks on the road at a time. It will either be a lot better next year, or I will be leaving the industry. I was making $15/hr as a full time bicycle mechanic, was a lot healthier, and had a great social life. If I'm not making more $$ than that, what's the point. I love being on the road, driving, being the captain of my ship; but I also need a decent wage to make it worthwhile.... We'll see what next year brings.

"just not that stupid of a mistake !!! hahaha" Yeah, it was pretty dumb and avoidable, but when you've gotta piss real bad, judgement is impaired. Besides, I'll take that petty stupid mistake over tickets and accidents any day. Good job on never making stupid mistakes. You must be the King of all Super Truckers...

rodmichael0173 Thanks this.
  6. rodmichael0173

rodmichael0173 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2012
    chicago, il.
    Yeah ur right. About tickets but accidents no buddy not me. I'm accident free. Well....at least until I commented about you. Look everybody makes them including me. But all I'm saying is they just busting ur balls cause u messed up. Get over it. You'll get unloaded soon and be making money again. Just chalk it up as experience and deal with the bashing. If this gets to you then the cb radio must make j turn red. It'll get better just hive it time.

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook

Breakdown or roadside is never an instant thing, that's for certain. You can plan on a minimum of two to three hours since there are plenty of other trucks out there that are also needing visits from roadside. Lesson learned here . . . get an extra copy of the key made to stash someplace OUTSIDE the truck.

I find it kind of odd that walmart reset your appointment for 6 days later than the original . . . my hubby use to run Walmart dedicated and has delivered to many Walmart DC's in his 5 years and never had that happen. Then again, he's never late for an appointment either. Just seems very strange for them.

A lot of companies, especially the larger companies seem to end up with way more than enough time to deliver loads often. Dispatch cannot have another load really lined up for you until you are MT.

Learn from your mistake and move on. Don't abandon the truck, or you many not be able to get a job with anyone. And welcome to trucking, where 'hurry up and wait' is the normal thing.

rodmichael0173 and Rogerthat Thank this.
  8. Spokester

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Yeah, like I said, it'll get better, or I'll find something else to do... I have goals, and I stick with them. After the 2-year mark, I'll reevaluate my situation and go from there. Almost at the 1-year mark... And the "bashing" doesn't really get to me, it's MalWart that really chaps my hide; my hate for them burns even brighter now. I like May, if I didn't I'd have moved on long ago. I have a great DM, terminal manager, and a sweet 2012 Cascadia; life could be worse. I just hate MalWart. Did I already say that?...

Oh, and the CB mostly stays off. I'd rather listen to music, audiobooks, and talk radio.

Rogerthat Thanks this.
  9. Spokester

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    I'm already mostly over this. Heading home now for a much-needed break. 2 months on the road is starting to be too much... I had a spare key in a holder outside the truck, but it broke a few days before my lockout. Irony. I've since replaced it; and believe me, this will not happen again.

I'm usually never late, this was a fluke; but like I said, it wouldn't have mattered to MalWart if it was a blown tire, or something else beyond my control. They just don't care. They get to dictate, and if you don't like it, well, they'll just find some other lackey to push around. If I ever own a truck, them and Americold are on my never haul for list...

10. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    not nice not nice

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  11. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    FWIW, I understand not wanting to go to Walmart or americold. Unlike you I am in the unenviable position of being late all the time. Most of the time, I will have a load planned with exactly 1 hour leeway, and almost always within one driving shift. So, when the plant is three hours late on my Walmart load, it was already supposed to deliver before they even finished loading it. Kinda silly if you ask me, but they have started to not send things to americold until they know the trailer is ready after having incited so many late fees.

I do kinda miss otr for that one thing being on time 99% rather than less than 10% as I currently am, none of it my, or my dispatchers fault, all of it resting with the customer I am dedicated to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.