Almost all Walmarts now don’t allow truck parking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    When I first got into OTR about four years back you could always still find a Walmart along your route that it would allow truck parking. This was a small aspect of OTR work that made it more tolerable. Not just for the Walmart, but usually what is surrounding most Walmarts. All types of stores, restaurants, bars, etc. gave a lot of us drivers a chance to get out of the truck for a few hours and act like a normal person.

One thing I’ve noticed that was a lot of Walmarts have no truck parking signs up but they don’t enforce it. Or maybe selectively and I’ve just been lucky.

Walmart has made the excuse about the trash and other things left behind by drivers and while this is true, have you ever went to a Walmart parking lot after it’s closed and before they clean it? It’s full of trash from their four wheeler customers. Dirty diapers, plastic, fast food, oil, you name it…And it’s bad. No way truck drivers are any worse. They just don’t want us in their lots anymore. It’s too bad.

Did truck drivers really ruin it, or did they just take it away?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    It depends where the Walmart is located. I ran a Walmart account 13 years ago. The area and clientele had everything to due with the cleanliness of the lot.

People are used to normal trash. They are not used to carts full of empty DEF, oil jugs. Bags of trash. WIZZ BOTTLES. Crap bags. No one wants to tolerate that insane level of filth.

I don’t think it’s so much the trash as it is the damage. Four wheelers don’t run up over the curb and destroy the planters/landscaping. Run over signs. Unearth a steel pole in concrete. So yes, it is the truckers faults.

4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Also, Walmart doesn’t own the properties so they may not be making these decisions. Real estate firms or property management companies don’t give a flip about us or our trucks or our needs. They really don’t know any better and probably assume we utilize truckstops for all of our needs.

5. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Yep, it's our fault unfortunately. Every ramp around wm DC is trashed with piss bottles and garbage. I understand and don't blame them one bit.

6. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    One of the most trashed out Walmart's I've ever seen was in Willows, CA, exit 604 or 605, I-5. In the back of the store there was lots of damage because of trucks running up over the concrete and ripping up the irrigation plumbing. With that being said, you could always park across the street at that bomb cratered dirt lot near the airport if you didn't have too low of a ground clearance.

Never park where there is a risk of getting booted or towed!

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Agreed.

drvrtech77, cke, JolliRoger and 7 others Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    RV drivers also caused lots of problems, throwing trash out and dumping the toilet in the parking lots.

autopaint, alds, bentstrider83 and 9 others Thank this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Check out the wal mart at Lexington Nebraska with designated truck parking , looks like a landfill.

10. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I don't know I still think a lot of Walmart's allow drivers to at least shop for an hour, and there's certainly quite a few that let drivers park overnight. Plus you still have the ones in the Midwest and out West that have actual designated truck parking, those Walmart's aren't exactly rare either (Laurel, MT, Bellevue, NE, the one somewhere near or in Neosho, MO, just off the top of my head). When the Walmart's famous for allowing truck parking like Newton, IA or the Walmart's in Nebraska on I-80 (Sidney, Lexington, etc etc) stop letting drivers park for the night or shop for an hour, then I'll start getting worried. Or when the Walmart's listed above that have actual designated truck parking stop allowing drivers to park, there, then I'll start worrying.

Until then, at least in my eyes, I'm not really worried about it. I started driving in 2019 and since then I have not noticed any Walmart's that I always go to, that have discontinued truck parking. So it hasn't affected me at all (not saying it's not happening, I'm just saying it's probably not a significant amount of Walmart's that went from allowing truck parking to disallowing it).

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Walmart should provide parking at their DCs for Drivers to have a 10 hr. break, wether it’s showing up 10-12 hrs early, or staying 10 hrs. after delivery. Because they don’t provide any parking, the surrounding area suffers. Trucks parked on ramps, shoulders, other Businesses. The Municipality they’re located in is to blame for allowing Walmart to get away with it. They’re too focused on collecting Taxes, instead of their local citizens. They usually have plenty acreage surrounding their DCs. No one stands up against Walmart. Stores are different. Some turn a blind eye. others don’t. It’s always been that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.