Aluminum drive axle hubs?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by W923, Apr 18, 2022.

1. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Six spoke Daytons. The dreaded Manitoba Mag Wheels. See those and you’d usually find wrenches bars and jacks in the truck somewhere, and I wasn’t real big on that ####. Don’t really miss spinning valve stems off either. Big power trucks had no mercy for them even with bar stock welded to the rims.

Roger McG, cke, Deere hunter and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I run six spoke on my stuff
    Proper cleaning and torquing at tire change goes a long way but still can be a problem.
    Hopefully I will have one less truck with them soon

beastr123, cke and CAXPT Thank this.
  4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    They can be a god-send in the bush. Even being able to single out a flat was an advantage with some of the places we had to rescue ourselves from. The only time I had stem problems were on the highway. Big power and those unplanned shifts on steep stuff, or chained up and yarding on it on hardpack is what usually got you.

cke, beastr123 and CAXPT Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Don't miss lifting those heavy ######## up and onto the axle every time brakes were needed. Didn't have a wheel dolly.

cke and CAXPT Thank this.
  6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    I not so fondly remember carrying 2 mounted spare tires and 2 singling rings while hauling D7, D8s and 737s up to Key lake when they were just doing exploration and later when we hauled the structural steel and rebar for the refinery to turn the ore to Yellow-cake. 200 miles of mostly gravel road built on sugar sand with the gravel being +3/4 granite crush that cut like a knife.
    singling rings were cut from damaged Dayton wheels where you only kept the tapered side of the wheel and scrapped the rest.

black_dog106, cke, CAXPT and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.